Friday, November 16, 2012

Flashback Friday: Delirium by Lauren Oliver

December is approaching, which means it will be time for Annabel! Of course I need some flashback or I will be reading Annabel and like "what is going on?" It's go time. Let's just give ourselves to amor deliria nervosa.

THEY SAY that the cure for Love will make me happy and safe forever. And I've always believed them. Until now.

Now everything has changed. Now, I'd rather be infected
with love for the tiniest sliver of a second than live a hundred years smothered by a lie.


***

The only not so good part in this book is it starts a little too slow. Alex shows up a little bit late. But that's the only part that makes the book... not flawless. Once you flip onto the page where things start to get interesting, you can never, ever put it down. And even if you have to put it down because the book ends, you will find yourself longing for Pandemonium (which I wrote a review in... July, I think?) 

Delirium is very different from other dystopian novel. Yeah, some of the parts are still the same. There's a hot boy and a girl which are really different. There's a world that is different from the one we are now living in and the world's so wrong. And there's some "bad guys" out there trying to kill the boy and the girl. But what makes the book unique is the whole setting. Lena's living in a "safe" place. The wrong thing that is about Portland is not some factions or districts or whatever but the very procedure to make people emotionless, logical. In a way it's way more emotional than others like The Hunger Games, but it involves so many adventures and political issues and spy things that makes the book practical. I just don't know how this two things can be mixed together that perfectly.

I like some of the humors in the book, especially this one:

"Lena Ella Haloway Tiddle. You have some explaining to do." __ Hana
"Your middle name is Ella?" __Alex

Maybe it's not humorous to you. But I really love Alex's innocence towards to whole situation. Hana... well, she just discover Alex and Lena's relationship that can put their lives in danger, and Alex just bursts out something that is so not smart at the time. He seems so young at that moment. 

And the whole grocery store scene where Alex and Lena do the sort-of eye-screwing thing "secretly" is my favorite scene. They just seem so cute and young together. Almost as cute as Daemon and Kat (Believe me, you will definitely say that Daemon and Kat is the cutest couple EVER). They are exchanging glances, smiling secretly at each other, and Lena is counting Alex's cash for five FREAKING minutes. Yeah, this one's definitely on my top favorite list. 

Like I've said before, I wrote a review about the second book of this breathtaking trilogy: Pandemonium:

http://smoking-hot-books.blogspot.hk/2012/07/pandemonium-review.html

I gotta tell you, Pandemonium is even better than Delirium.

Requiem is just only about 4 months away, but it seems like the longest waiting on my life. Maybe part of the reason is because of Clockwork Princess by Cassandra Clare, Obsession by Jennifer L. Armentrout. But one of the main reasons definitely goes to Requiem.

Rating: 8/10

No comments:

Post a Comment