Friday, October 12, 2012

Mystic City: Review

After some days, I finish the very first book of the Mystic City by Theo Lawrence. Check out the summary:

For fans of Matched, The Hunger Games, X-Men, and Blade Runner comes a tale of a magical city divided, a political rebellion ignited, and a love that was meant to last forever. Book One of the Mystic City Novels.

Aria Rose, youngest scion of one of Mystic City's two ruling rival families, finds herself betrothed to Thomas Foster, the son of her parents' sworn enemies. The union of the two will end the generations-long political feud—and unite all those living in the Aeries, the privileged upper reaches of the city, against the banished mystics who dwell below in the Depths. But Aria doesn't remember falling in love with Thomas; in fact, she wakes one day with huge gaps in her memory. And she can't conceive why her parents would have agreed to unite with the Fosters in the first place. Only when Aria meets Hunter, a gorgeous rebel mystic from the Depths, does she start to have glimmers of recollection—and to understand that he holds the key to unlocking her past. The choices she makes can save or doom the city—including herself.


***

This book is UNDERRATED by readers, I really have to say. I know the truth. It's not as well written as The Hunger Games (though I'm not sure why I don't like THG) and Divergent. But the guy is apparently a new writer. And this piece is definitely very good by a new writer. It has got gorgeous settings and a good messed-up world. It deserves better ratings.

This world sets on Manhattan, where mystics are either drained or living in a poor condition. Maybe my horizons are not that wide. But I've never seen paranormal dystopian world. Look at Delirium and The Hunger Games. There are no paranormal elements inside the book. Even though the main female character is as tough as nails, they are just ordinary human being. Even though Divergent is based on some unusual beings called the Divergent, they are again just human beings. That makes a main difference between Mystic City and some other more famous dystopian novel.

Aria Rose, is tough like all other main female characters in dystopian novel. I've seen so many female characters that are much more tougher than she is. Like Tris. So even though Aria is good, she is definitely not my favorite female character. But one thing I love about her is that apparently she doesn't get too jealous to the point that makes readers annoyed. Maybe I will like her more in the next book, Renegade Heart.

Hunter, is a typical hot fighter in the story. I really do like him, but there are so many out there that are...well, more extraordinary. But I like him. He's self-sacrificing and fun. I really hope that Aria and Hunter will be the end game. Because in some ways they are very similar to Four and Tris, yet they are so different from them in many ways.

The best part of the book is the battle. This is a great battle. Manhattan is a real dystopian world. Theo Lawrence is doing well for making the dystopia part very obvious. The battle truly reveals the horror and the ruthlessness in Manhattan, making New York not so beautiful after all. But even the great battle has its not-so-good parts. And that's the number of important characters dying. First is Davida. I like her. Really, even though she is in love with Hunter. But she doesn't deserve death. The second one is Violet. I know she is not the main character in the book. But she is the heart of the revolution and she seems nice enough. The third is Benedict. He is trying to help Aria all along, and doesn't he deserve better? 

Another good part is that Theo Lawrence can make the impression of making Aria's parents hateful. I hate Aria's mom and dad. They are so cruel and they are top liars. Spare me their blubbering about how they "love" their daughter and want to keep her "safe". Nothing but lies and more lies. I hate lies. But that's a part of the story. They're meant to be that way. I can finally see more about people NOWADAYS. They are claiming that they are protecting others while in reality they just think of themselves. 

The biggest not-so-good part is that the starting up lasts too long and the main part lasts too short. I hope this problem will be solved in Renegade Heart. I have high expectations in Renegade Heart. I hope that will be even better than Mystic City.

Rating: 8.5/10

No comments:

Post a Comment