Thursday, September 20, 2012

Ceaseless: Review and Comparison Between Existence, Predestined and Ceaseless

I've finally finished the whole Existence trilogy by Abbi Glines. The final book is called Ceaseless. Check out the summary below:



Can he make her fall in love with him… again?

When Pagan Moore proved worthy of Death’s devotion, he was given the gift of getting to keep her.

But Dank was never promised that Pagan would keep him.

When a soul is created, so is its mate. In every lifetime those souls find each other. They complete the other’s destiny. It’s time for Pagan’s soul to choose if she truly wants an eternity at Death’s side or if she wants the mate created just for her.

Dank didn’t think he had to worry about her choice. He knew where her heart belonged. Until he realized that every kiss, every touch, every moment of their time together would be washed from her memories. He would have to win her heart all over again and prove to her soul that he was where she belonged.

If only her soul’s mate wasn’t right there standing in his way.


***

Truth to be told, I can't say that I like this book as much as Predestined. I mean, the book is still good. But it kind of disappoints me in some ways. Maybe I should state the good part first?

One of the better parts is the beginning of the book, where Pagan had lost her memory already. I haven't expect that Pagan will be so "empty-minded" right from the start of the book. It kind of strikes me. And I truly, truly feel bad for Dank and Gee. I once thought that her mind would be wiped out forcefully in some time in the book. An empty memory wasn't what I expected to appear at the start of the book.

Another is that the book is... fairly peaceful to read. I mean, if you want some massive mood swing, this is definitely not the first book you will come into. In a way that's quite good for me because I need to calm down a little to handle the upcoming YA novels like Clockwork Princess, Deity, Opal, etc. I can tell they will give me major mood swings, and I need something to calm down at least a little right now.

The comforting thing is that the writing skills of the author is just as good as ever even though the story line of Ceaseless is...well, a little messed-up. This is a good thing that an author can keep his/her writing skills for a long time (well, not that long)

Even though I really hate to say it, there are not-so-good (I figure it will be better if I use not-so-good instead of bad) parts in the book. I can't see the reason, but I can't really dwell in the book that far. If I truly want to read a book, I can just cut out all the voices and just dwell into it. But I can never really focus on the book like I did in Predestined. 

Another thing is that... well, you can say that the absence of love triangle is quite refreshing, and in a way I have to agree with it. But this time there was no love triangle. No angst in the book, at least not in the way that it should be. It really disappoints me a little bit. And some small parts of me actually thinks that Dank and Jay will go all-out boy fight (why does it reminds me of Aiden and Seth? I have no idea) over Pagan. There wasn't even a bit of competition. And I was like well, I expect way more than that.

And when I first read the Dank and Pagan who wanted sex badly, I just sort of lose my freaking voice. I can understand that Dank missed Pagan and wants to have (fun with) her, but I just can't freaking understand that what Pagan was doing at the end of the book. I mean, being a deity doesn't mean the her virginity will be ruined. She knows better than everyone (or so I thought). I was like what the hell are you doing, Pagan? I don't know if there's something wrong with the character or me, but in this book I actually prefer some more heart-to-heart relationship.

Rating: 6.5/10 

***
Comparison:

Since that the trilogy has already finished, I think a tiny comparison is needed here.
  
Existence is about the encounter of Dank and Leif. It's the start of the events in Predestined. It's a good start, you know. Starting things that will happen in the second book when the events happened in the first book is almost entirely different. I kinda appreciate that kind of skill. It is what brings me to continue the series on Predestined.

Predestined is the best of the trilogy. It centers the fight between Pagan and the Voodoo world. It's well-written. The emotions are very clear, and the threats are, well, actually threats. Wyatt's death is unexpected, and there are huge plot twists in the book that makes you actually wonder what will happen in the end of Predestined. This is a good one.

I can't say Ceaseless is not good. In fact like the first two books it's also well-written. But the plot isn't as exciting as Predestined. There are just chasing for nothing real. There are no actual fight in Ceaseless, and I think there would be more angst in the final book.

Existence trilogy is worth-reading, except that the plot in Ceaseless should be re-written a little. That will be much better.

Rating for the whole series: 7.5/10

No comments:

Post a Comment