Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Pure: Review

Just one day and I've finished reading the sequel of Covenant series: Pure!



Check out the summary:

There is need. And then there is Fate...

Being destined to become some kind of supernatural electrical outlet isn't exactly awesome--especially when Alexandria's "other half" is everywhere she goes. Seth's in her training room, outside her classes, and keeps showing up in her bedroom--so not cool. Their connection does have some benefits, like staving off her nightmares of the tragic showdown with her mother, but it has no effect on what Alex feels for the forbidden, pure-blooded Aiden. Or what he will do--and sacrifice--for her.

When daimons infiltrate the Covenants and attack students, the gods send furies--lesser gods determined to eradicate any threat to the Covenants and to the gods, and that includes the Apollyon... and Alex. And if that and hordes of aether-sucking monsters didn't blow bad enough, a mysterious threat seems willing to do anything to neutralize Seth, even if that means forcing Alex into servitude... or killing her.

When the gods are involved, some decisions can never, ever be undone.


***
Okay, the book is really good actually. But there are things that is a little bit annoying. But I'm not lecturing the skills of the author. It's just the characters.

First off, I don't know why Alex keeps telling Aiden to prove his feelings. But don't get me wrong. I completely understand her actions. It's just that if she knows that he will never, ever return her feelings (okay, at least not in Pure), why keep asking him? It's not like that will make anything better. I kind of being annoyed by the demand scenes. And this is awkward.

Second, Aiden's reaction to Alex is the most horrible thing in the whole world. It's like a advance version of Daemon and Kat, only the positions are reversed. I know the rules. They will get themselves into big trouble if anyone finds out their relationship. But you know what, keep pushing away is definitely not a good way to get on with Alex even though Aiden trys to prove them in some other ways. I hate the Council, and I hate Minister Telly most.

Speaking of Minister Telly, he is a total son of a bitch. Why he had to be so traditional (In my opinion, traditional is a world that is far too good to describe him. I think I will describe him as bitchy) that he keep banning the idea of changing the Breed Order? If he changed it, then Alex and Aiden would definitely be together now. And I just don't understand why he is so against the halfs that he wants to enslave all of them. I have a feeling that it's him who put a compulsion on Alex and try to freeze her to death. Although I can't deny that the person is a daimon.

Throughout the book, I start to like Seth more, because he's the one who is with Alex when Aiden breaks her heart. Maybe I will like him more in Deity. Sometimes I think that maybe Seth will be better for her than Aiden, because I can see that Aiden will constantly break Alex's heart even though he takes care of what happened in Catskills.

And reading some part of the book makes me want to punch Aiden in the face. He acts like a total jerk towards Alex. He is so much like Kat. He gets jealous when Seth's around Alex but he never prove his feelings for her. I know the rules, but that doesn't make me stop being angry. But I have a feeling that he will (kind of) prove himself in Deity. 

The saddest part of the book is that Caleb dies. He is the best character in the book. Why he had to die? Jennifer breaks my heart at that point. And now Olivia hates Alex when there is nothing Alex does wrong. Poor Alex.

The part in Catskill is the shocking part of the book. I mean, who knows that Alex will turn the knife to the pure-blood guard without even using her hands? The scene is just... wow. I doubt that she will never be found guilty of killing a pure. But worse yet, Aiden has to take care the mess for her. A tiny part of me wants Alex die instead (not that I ACTUALLY want her dead, it's just there will be less trouble if she dies. But that will be really interesting to see Aiden and Seth's face when they know what happened), and another tiny part of me want that Aiden wouldn't take care the mess for her. It will only bring him trouble, and this action definitely contradicts what he was always doing. Ugh, things are so messy.

The most unnerving part is the first chapter of Deity. When Alex's in the dream, I thought that the man is Seth. Turns out he's Aiden. And I was like what the hell is going on? And worse yet, Aiden says that she can never love him. Not when Seth's here. That's kind of true, because some part of her heart is still with Aiden while the other part is with Seth. But thinking that her last thought is Aiden before she falls asleep again is the most OMG part. Guess that the messy love triangle will stay messy for a while.

And this is the most messed-up love triangle of ALL TIME.

Again, I am not lecturing the author for making up such a love triangle. Her words are awesome. They are hot. And they definitely burn a big hole on the book. But comparing Half-Blood and Pure, I prefer Half-Blood. In Half-Blood, things are not so messed-up and the moments are quite sweet. I love the way Jennifer writes Pure, but I think Half-Blood is better. Hope that Deity will come out soon and I will know what the hell is going on.

One more thing. If you find this article lame, hope that you will forgive me. It's too hard to describe what Pure is like with just words. You will know exactly what the fans feel when you truly starts the book.

Rating: 8.5/10

No comments:

Post a Comment