Sunday, August 5, 2012

Paranormalcy: Review

Book: Paranormalcy (Paranormalcy #1)


Summary:

Weird as it is working for the International Paranormal Containment Agency, Evie’s always thought of herself as normal. Sure, her best friend is a mermaid, her ex-boyfriend is a faerie, she's falling for a shape-shifter, and she's the only person who can see through paranormals' glamours, but still. Normal.

Only now paranormals are dying, and Evie's dreams are filled with haunting voices and mysterious prophecies. She soon realizes that there may be a link between her abilities and the sudden rash of deaths. Not only that, but she may very well be at the center of a dark faerie prophecy promising destruction to all paranormal creatures.

So much for normal.


*** 


Okay, I guess I will never understand what is with the under-4-star rating. Maybe this is not the best book I've ever read. But this one is good. It's not quite like the YA trend, which is always creating love triangles. And this is one neat part that I like. I just think this book is underrated.


Evie is not like any other characters in YA books. I mean, she's not like the heronies. She appears to be one normal girl (If you don't count the freaky Level Seven thing). She has human fears, and it's easier to imagine how she feels. Some novels are great, but it's hard to feel what the character feels. And Kiersten White can make the feelings more normal. More lively. This is a successful part of her novel. But one really bad thing is that Kiersten White makes Evie a little bit too... vain. And this is one part that I can't really stand. 


Lend is the best part of the novel. He appears to be sweet all the time. A steady warmth. No extreme feelings, and this is good. Because if you take too much extreme feelings, you will kind of break from inside. A normal flame is good for relaxing. Give some comfort to our emotions. Lend is every mortal girls' dream boyfriend, because he is caring. This part of him can be carried out by the author in a... more perspective way. Another good part of this novel.


I think Reth is a good kind-of-villain in the novel. Just that he can be a good character for his part doesn't mean I don't wanna punch him in the face. I mean, come on, don't you find him annoying? Even though Evie can't resist her nature, can't he just leave her alone with Lend? He always force his feelings to Evie, and he calls this love? And he always want to bring her back to Faerie Realms in order to fulfill her "needs" and "role". This is not my version of love, and definitely not Evie's. That's why he deserves some kicks in his ass.


I kind of find Raquel a little bit annoying. Cuz I just can't see why IPCA is unwilling to listen to Evie's advices. I think that IPCA's supposed to be a civilized place? And even though Raquel can be a good mother of Evie, she just can't control what Evie thinks. When Vivian's attack begins, some part of me hope that Raquel will disappear for ever from Evie's live despite the fact that Evie misses her. I know it's not good to say this, but she definitely annoys me.


This is definitely not the best book I've ever read, but it is a worth-reading novel. And underrating this book is a wrong thing to do.


Rating: 8/10



No comments:

Post a Comment