Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Obsidian: Review

I've finished reading Obsidian and I can't wait to get my hands on the upcoming book Onyx!

Here's the summary from goodreads:

Starting over sucks.

When we moved to West Virginia right before my senior year, I'd pretty much resigned myself to thick accents, dodgy internet access, and a whole lot of boring.... until I spotted my hot neighbor, with his looming height and eerie green eyes. Things were looking up.

And then he opened his mouth.

Daemon is infuriating. Arrogant. Stab-worthy. We do not get along. At all. But when a stranger attacks me and Daemon literally freezes time with a wave of his hand, well, something...unexpected happens.

The hot alien living next door marks me.

You heard me. Alien. Turns out Daemon and his sister have a galaxy of enemies wanting to steal their abilities, and Daemon's touch has me lit up like the Vegas Strip. The only way I'm getting out of this alive is by sticking close to Daemon until my alien mojo fades.

If I don't kill him first, that is.



Review: 

I must say, Jennifer is a talented author. Obsidian can definitely hold the heart of the readers right from the first page of the book. A pure perfection. One of the best YA book ever. And I can never understand why this series is not as famous as the bestselling Mortal Instruments and Divergent series.

Reading this book is kind of a funny experience for me. Because the first part of the book is like a much-better version of Twilight, and the second part of the book is kind of a combination of City of Ashes and City of Glass. At least that's the feeling it give me. But this is a good combination. Never in a second of my life that the mixture of Twilight and Mortal Instruments can be so perfect.

Katy (Hey that's my name) is a lively character of this book. Her words and gestures are so real that I think most of the people talk like her. Her bravery and selflessness can be compared to Tris's, because I think most of the typical girls were going to be scared like hell if they knew they were gonna be killed by a disgusting Arum. And she can handle the relationship between the Luxen in a really stable way. I like that about her. But her keep denying about her feelings for Daemon makes her a little bit like Clary.

Daemon is definitely the hottest part of the book. He is the part that most girls would fall in love for him. He is hilarious at some point. But again, denying his feeling for Kat is like Jace denying his love for Clary. I don't know why this couple always reminds me of Jace and Clary (or Will and Tessa, if you wanna say). But he is the best part of the book.

Dee is the girl that I like most in the book. She is extremely nice, and I wish I have a friend like that in my life. This will be the best thing for almost everyone if she befriends people(And indeed she is). Dee can be a girl in a second and a warrior in the next. This girl is tough and caring. I bet she will play a big part in Onyx, and that will light up the book.

Reading the extra scene from Daemon's perspective is like reading the PoV of Jace Lightwood. Because they are totally hot. Seeing Daemon's jealousy and awareness for Kat is like revisting a familiar place that is in the world of Shadowhunters. His jealousy towards Simon Cutters is like Jace's jealousy towards Simon Lewis(Poor Simon, why he is always hated by the hottest boy in both of the series, coz they are both innocent on some level) And again, I just can't see why his duty can be so mixed up with his feelings for Kat. I think that he can at least be honest to himself even though he can never be truly honest to Kat at any point.

I can't even wait for Onyx. Even 1 week feels like eternity. What will happen next? And what happened in the book Shadows(ft. Dawson and Bethany)? I will read Shadows soon, and a review is coming up. One more thing is that like I said, this book should definitely be made into movies. This will be huge. And awesome

Rating: 9.9/10

No comments:

Post a Comment