Sunday, August 19, 2012

Daimon: Review



Finally I can finish the prequel of Half-Blood! Here's the summary:

For three years, Alexandria has lived among mortals—pretending to be like them and trying to forget the duty she'd been trained to fulfill as a child of a mortal and a demigod. At seventeen, she's pretty much accepted that she's a freak by mortal standards... and that she'll never be prepared for that duty.

According to her mother, that’s a good thing.

But as every descendant of the gods knows, Fate has a way of rearing her ugly head. A horrifying attack forces Alex to flee Miami and try to find her way back to the very place her mother had warned her she should never return—the Covenant. Every step that brings her closer to safety is one more step toward death… because she's being hunted by the very creatures she'd once trained to kill.

The daimons have found her.


 ***
Well, this is great, actually. But I have to say that the scenes are not as exciting as I first thought it was. I thought hunting down daimons will be far more interesting. Turns out it's just Alex killing them with her bare hands. Not that it's not good. It's just I want some more chasing and fighting. That will be way more interesting.

I know there is no real comparison between Daimon and Shadows. The only feature that they share is they are both prequels. And this is hardly a feature at all.  But if I have to choose one who is better, I would pick Shadows. Again not that Daimon is not good, it's just Shadows left a stronger feeling in my chest. Daimon can't drive my emotions as much as Shadows does. 

But there are also a bunch of good parts in Daimon, of course. Alex kicks ass, for one. She is one of the toughest girl in YA world, obviously. Besides Tris, for example. Her trip, for another one. This trip is definitely no normal trip. Not everyone will have one in their life time. This is one of the best trips ever. 

The best of the bests is not actually from Daimon. It's the first chapter from Half-Blood (Daimon contains the first chapter of Half-Blood). Finally I can see Aiden appear in front of Alex! I was grinning like an idiot when I saw him appears. But like Alex, I was a little bit angry about them not appearing when her mom died. I can completely understand why Alex's emotions are so scattered and she acted like a lunatic out of control. And I kind of blame the Covenant for that. This is a good one, I have to say.

Reading Daimon before Half-Blood is better than vice versa. I can see that not all the people will completely understand what's going on with the first chapter of Half-Blood if they don't read Daimon first. Daimon can absolutely put a perspective and link to the first chapter of Half-Blood. I suggested that if you a new reader of Covenant (like me), you should read the prequel first and the first book next.

Rating: 7/10

No comments:

Post a Comment