Sunday, July 26, 2015

Renegade by Kerry Wilkinson: Review

Synopsis:

Silver Blackthorn is a fugitive from the law.
Silver Blackthorn has committed treason.
She is dangerous. Do NOT approach her.
A large reward is on offer. Report any sightings to your nearest Kingsman.
Long live the King.

Silver Blackthorn is on the run. She fled Windsor Castle with eleven other teenagers, taking with her something far more valuable than even she realises: knowledge.

With the entire country searching for the missing Offerings, Silver must keep them all from the vicious clutches of King Victor and the Minister Prime. Until now, no one has escaped the king and lived to tell the tale.

Or have they?

With expectations weighing heavily on the girl with the silver streak in her hair, will she ever find her way home?

***

Silver and her gang is on the run in Renegade. Evading the Kingsman, she's set on getting her revenge for her suffering in the Windsor castle. Now that she is the most wanted person in the whole country, her family is in danger as well. She has to find that one person that may hold to key to the origin of the Reckoning, and the solution. What she might face is betrayal and separation.

I remember liking Reckoning. Renegade is also not bad. I have been able to enjoy it for some time. But I'm afraid I have to say that this series is one of those that just can't hold my attention for long. It's a good thing that this book is not long, because the first bit is pretty boring to me. I mean, seriously. Rebel groups that are too good to be true? Again? I have spent enough time to read these kind of novels to say that I'm getting tired of this. However, this is just a small part of this book. The bigger part is much better, and with much more risks, which does more than balancing out the not-so-good things. 

Silver is not who I remember. Not exactly. I mean, she's still very smart and determined. And she's also a good leader. But some part of her has hardened, and not in the way I like. Like Imrin said, she's getting a little bit manipulative. She recognizes the problem and tries to correct it, which is a good thing and I admire her for her candor. But that streak of hers is getting on my nerves for some reason. She also spends a lot of time being indecisive about Opie and Imrin. Maybe not a lot of time, but definitely more than she should. It's annoying, but not because this is weak of her or what not. Rather, this is more a waste of time when she can spend more time thinking about her next move.

The whole thing is pretty straightforward, and with a clear goal, I think I will still be reading the last book.

Rating: 6.5/10

No comments:

Post a Comment