Wednesday, April 8, 2015

The Wicked Will Rise by Danielle Paige: Review

Synopsis:

In this dark, high-octane sequel to the New York Times bestsellingDorothy Must Die, Amy Gumm must do everything in her power to kill Dorothy and free Oz.


To make Oz a free land again, Amy Gumm was given a mission: remove the Tin Woodman’s heart, steal the Scarecrow’s brain, take the Lion’s courage, and then Dorothy must die....

But Dorothy still lives. Now the Revolutionary Order of the Wicked has vanished, and mysterious Princess Ozma might be Amy’s only ally. As Amy learns the truth about her mission, she realizes that she’s only just scratched the surface of Oz’s past—and that Kansas, the home she couldn't wait to leave behind, may also be in danger. In a place where the line between good and evil shifts with just a strong gust of wind, who can Amy trust—and who is really Wicked?

***

Have you ever looked at the American state of Kansas on a map?

The Wicked Will Rise picks up immediately after Dorothy Must Die, with Amy on the run with a trophy in her pocket, but still does not manage to kill Dorothy. While I love the turn of events in the first book, and the fact that not everything is what it seems, this book just doesn't do that for me. I feel like things kind of fall flat. There are a few parts that I really enjoy, but it's nowhere as compelling as the first book.

Amy struggles a lot in this book. Desperate to find the Order, battling with her own darkness, and trying to help Ozma regain her sanity, she's faced a lot of mental challenges. I like how Amy has evolved into her own self. While still a little bit annoying, she has come into her own power and has faced her personal obstacles. This is is one of the best parts of the book, because I can't wait to see who and what she will become in the future. I also like the constant appearance of Queen Lulu in the first half of the book. She's snarky and a bit of a bitch, but she's also cool. There are a lot of times when her logic doesn't make sense, and it manages to make me laugh. I kinda want to see more of her in the next book, just to provide a sort of relief.

However, as I've said before, The Wicked Will Rise doesn't have that kind of hold on me like the first book did. The plot barely develops. I like Amy's internal struggle because her character is more complex than before. But there's no time for other important things like, well, plot development. I'd like to see more historical stuff about Oz or even Kansas, but all I get is some vague answers. It's hardly more than what I learned in the first book. Not exactly a good sign. Sometimes I have to reread the chapters again to decipher the plot and the answers, because it's confusing. The characters that I've grown to like in the first book do not make much of an impact in the book either. I was eager to see them in this book, but my wish is clearly not granted. I also wanted to see more of Ozma. She's, after all, the rightful ruler of Oz. But she has proved herself to be of little use to the situation. In fact, there are times when she (unintentionally?) messed up things. That annoys the hell out of me. Speaking of annoyance, a lot of characters piss me off. They are either too petty or silly. The only mature thing in this book is Amy. The Wicked Will Rise is her book, but that's it. 

I hope the last book will be better, and provide more excitement.

Rating: 5.5/10

No comments:

Post a Comment