Wednesday, April 22, 2015

Chaos by Lanie Bross: Review

Synopsis:

Can they change their destiny?

They kissed only once—and it was electric, like the air before a storm. But Corinthe and Luc broke the rules of the universe, and learned too late that their love would have consequences. In the dizzying aftermath, Luc refuses to accept his destiny—not if it means a life without Corinthe. As a fire rages through the Crossroads that connect worlds, Luc must find a way to turn back time and save Corinthe once and for all.

Meanwhile, Luc's 15-year-old sister Jasmine starts to realize things are not as they seem when time begins stuttering, sending her everyday life in San Francisco spinning into chaos. She’s thrown into the path of Ford, a troubled soul with a secret past, who helps her unravel the mysterious threads that connect them all.

Two breathtaking romances interweave across time in this story of what lies on the other side of Fate, as both Jas and Luc discover the incredible lengths they will go for love.

***

"The path to righteousness goes straight through the heart."

I don't even know why I decided to read Chaos after almost four months of struggle. I'm not a big fan of Fates. It's too stiff and predictable. But for some reason the ending stuck in my head for quite a long time. I think that's the only reason why I decided to give it a try. It's better than the first, I'd give it that. But there are still so much that I'm not satisfied with.

Okay, what in the hell is with the plot? I'm not talking about the dual perspective. I have absolutely no problem with that. The problem is, either time jump or the writing is very messy. I'm so confused about pretty much everything. First off, it really doesn't seem right for both Luc and Jas to interfere with some big things and change the consequences, but to change other equally big things without any consequences. The usual logic of time travelling seems to be missing. Not to mention the whole thing seems way too easy. Both of them are messing with time and they only have one repercussion? The trade-off is too low. 

Reading Chaos is like reading a different book, with whole new characters. Luc and Jas are narrators of this book. Jas was not a main character in the first book, so it's hard to judge her. Luc, on the other hand is like a completely different person. He has suffered, yes. Something about him will and must change. But the Luc in Chaos trusts people too easily, whereas the one in Fates is always wary. Desperation might be a good explanation, but the change is still drastic. The brief moments of seeing Corinthe makes you really question if you are reading the right book or not. I don't even want to talk about that. However, both Luc and Jas has some good qualities that I can respect, and this balance some things out. Both of them have fairly easy-going personalities and they help smooth things up. This might not be my usual preferences, but it's refreshing in one way.

Anyway, I'm not sure if there's one more book after Chaos. But I'm pretty sure I won't pick up the sequel if there is one.

Rating: 5/10

No comments:

Post a Comment