Wednesday, January 21, 2015

The Conspiracy of Us by Maggie Hall: Review

Synopsis:

A fast-paced international escapade, laced with adrenaline, glamour, and romance--perfect for fans of Ally Carter

Avery West's newfound family can shut down Prada when they want to shop in peace, and can just as easily order a bombing when they want to start a war. Part of a powerful and dangerous secret society called the Circle, they believe Avery is the key to an ancient prophecy. Some want to use her as a pawn. Some want her dead.

To unravel the mystery putting her life in danger, Avery must follow a trail of clues from the monuments of Paris to the back alleys of Istanbul with two boys who work for the Circle—beautiful, volatile Stellan and mysterious, magnetic Jack. But as the clues expose a stunning conspiracy that might plunge the world into World War 3, she discovers that both boys are hiding secrets of their own. Now she will have to choose not only between freedom and family--but between the boy who might help her save the world, and the one she's falling in love with.

***

"They can be manipulated, or change on their own, and end up as something completely different from what they were fated for."

The Conspiracy of Us is said to be a YA version of The Da Vinci Code. Now, I haven't read The Da Vinci Code, so it doesn't really much of a selling point to me. It is one of those books where you have to concentrate really hard to get the whole sticky situation, but once you do, it's quite an enjoyable and thrilling story of power struggle and false sympathy.

Avery is a normal girl. Well, as normal as you can be when you are constantly moving to another place for your mom's job. But when Avery encounters someone unusual, she's thrust into a world unbeknownst to her - to most people in the world. The world is manipulated by twelve families. Every creation - and destruction - are linked to these twelve families. They are the mastermind behind pretty much everything. She's caught in the center of the storm. The storm of power and conspiracy.

To be honest, I didn't intend to read the book. While it might sound like a good story, the whole modern-world setting held me back. But I was really glad I read it. It starts out a little slow, but gradually picks up to a satisfactory pace. I love the constant action and secrets that is about to be unlocked. Avery is a good enough protagonist - a brave girl who is also a normal girl, with normal girlish feelings. I can relate to her dilemma and uncertainty about what's really right and wrong. Because nothing is righteous in The Conspiracy of Us. Neither the Circle nor their enemies can be a reliable ally. I really want to see how it will play out.

Which brings me to the next point - a trait that I don't really find it decent. I didn't realize it was a series. I thought it was a standalone. That's also one of the reasons why I picked it up. But then... I guess I wasn't that lucky, huh? While I believe the plot will be more refined when the second book is added into the mix, some part of me still thinks that it'd be better off as a standalone. It's a trilogy. Which might be way too long. Of course, nothing is certain. Maybe it'll turn out better than I thought. But I'm not sure I want to read the story as a trilogy.

The Conspiracy of Us is still a good book nonetheless. It's got a promising plot and strong characters. I hope I will enjoy the sequel as much as this one.

Rating: 7/10

No comments:

Post a Comment