Sunday, December 21, 2014

Top Ten YA Novels 2014 #10: Snow Like Ashes by Sara Raasch

Man, I miss this! Ten of my favorite novels read this year! I'm surprised I have a lot of new books in the list, but oh well, this year is good!

The tenth place belongs to

Snow Like Ashes by Sara Raasch

Synopsis:

A heartbroken girl. A fierce warrior. A hero in the making.

Sixteen years ago the Kingdom of Winter was conquered and its citizens enslaved, leaving them without magic or a monarch. Now, the Winterians’ only hope for freedom is the eight survivors who managed to escape, and who have been waiting for the opportunity to steal back Winter’s magic and rebuild the kingdom ever since.

Orphaned as an infant during Winter’s defeat, Meira has lived her whole life as a refugee, raised by the Winterians’ general, Sir. Training to be a warrior—and desperately in love with her best friend, and future king, Mather — she would do anything to help her kingdom rise to power again.

So when scouts discover the location of the ancient locket that can restore Winter’s magic, Meira decides to go after it herself. Finally, she’s scaling towers, fighting enemy soldiers, and serving her kingdom just as she’s always dreamed she would. But the mission doesn’t go as planned, and Meira soon finds herself thrust into a world of evil magic and dangerous politics – and ultimately comes to realize that her destiny is not, never has been, her own.

***

Date Read: June 4, 2014

My Review:


My Rating: 8.5/10

***

Top 3 reasons why I like it:

(Yes, this year it's three instead of five. Might as well round up my ideas)

1. The setting of the story

It just reminds me of faeries. The Seasons and the Rhythms reminds me so much of The Iron Fey, as I have mentioned in my review. But it's not. And the world is simply beautiful. The remnants of a fallen kingdom fighting to revive their lost country. A world thrown into chaos and false peace. People yearning for freedom and liberation. It can't be better when magic is added into the mix. I guess I love stories about magic and elemental stuff. It's a dark and haunting yet oddly complex and exquisite background of the story.

2. Meira

Oh, come on. Meira is a badass with a chakram. Although not the best fighter in the book, she definitely has a will of steel. Tougher than most of her companions. She will fight until her last breath, and won't comply to the cruel reality easily. Unlike Mather, whom some might consider him mature, is nowhere as brave and defiant as Meira. It's not hard to understand why Theron likes her so much. She's a force of nature that is simply unforgettable.

3. Theron

Speaking of Theron, he's actually my favorite character in the book besides Meira. He's just a sweet and nice guy in general. I think the best personality trait of his is actually the ability to respect Meira's decision, which a lot of characters can't achieve for some reason. It's obvious that he will do everything in his power to keep Meira safe, and to liberate Meira's country as well as his. In some ways he's so similar to Meira. Determined, brave and won't bend to the greater yet darker force. He's truly a respectable character.

***

Why I recommend this book or series:

To be honest, I'm not sure if there's anything exceptionally unique in this book. In fact it's pretty ordinary in the sense that there's a girl fighting for her country as well as her life, a childhood sort-of friend that probably won't return her less-than-normal feelings, and a guy that is super well-rounded and just plain awesome, united to fight for the light. But despite the lack of uniqueness, it's surprisingly enjoyable. I guess one of the reasons is that there are some unexpected (and heartbreaking as well as anger-inducing) twists. The book also has quite a promising ending. I believe it will get better in the sequel. I guess the reason why I recommend this is just that it's entertaining.

***

Do I like the cover?

Hell yeah. It's beautiful in a neat way. A chakram and the beautiful landscape of the magical world. The plain font of the name of the book and the author might be a little bit of a downer, but it doesn't really cancel out the gorgeousness.

***

Top three favorite scenes (Spoiler Alert!)

1. Meira and Theron kissing 

What's not to like? They are perfect for each other.

2. The last scene of the book (which is too spoilery to be described)

It's got a promising note, and it might have hinted something... not quite bright. I can't wait for the next book.

3. The first time Meira and Theron met

I just like pretty much every scene that has both Meira and Theron interacting with each other. It's awkwardly cute in a way that makes me smile. The aftermath isn't so good, of course. But it doesn't spoil the goodness of the scene.

***

OTP: 

Meira/Theron all the way! (It's not exactly like they're official or something. But at least they're great partners)

No comments:

Post a Comment