Friday, July 25, 2014

Dissonance: Review

Synopsis:

Delancy Sullivan has always known there’s more to reality than what people see. Every time someone makes a choice, a new, parallel world branches off from the existing one. Eating breakfast or skipping it, turning left instead of right, sneaking out instead of staying in bed ~ all of these choices create an alternate universe in which an echo self takes the road not travelled and makes the opposite decision. As a Walker, someone who can navigate between these worlds, Del’s job is to keep all of the dimensions in harmony.

Normally, Del can hear the dissonant frequency that each world emits as clear as a bell. But when a training session in an off-key world goes horribly wrong, she is forbidden from Walking by the Council. But Del’s not big on following the rules and she secretly starts to investigate these other worlds. Something strange is connecting them and it’s not just her random encounters with echo versions of the guy she likes, Simon Lane.

But Del’s decisions have unimaginable consequences and, as she begins to fall for the Echo Simons in each world, she draws closer to a truth that the Council of Walkers is trying to hide ~ a secret that threatens the fate of the entire multiverse.

***

Well, color me surprised. Because I am seriously hooked. You know this is a good book when you read it in the middle of the night and you find it strangely terrifying when there's nothing to fear. That's me. And I love this book that I can't wait for the sequel.

I think the biggest surprise is how good the background of this novel is. I have to admit I had my doubts at first because I'm not actually that big on multiverse even though I like Unraveling. I was like, "multiverse again?" Dissonance has exceed my expectations with the Walkers, the Echos, the Key World, and how nothing is going to be stable anymore. I think the only problem about the background is that there's a little information dumping, but it's not serious at all. In fact, it's quite fun. And a little terrifying. As much as I'm logical, it still sends me a chill. It's just excellent.

The whole relationship between The Consort and Free Walkers and corruption is actually a little hard to take in, because it's just overwhelming. Echos being lost to the great void probably has something to do with it, but the fact that both sides have their own darkest sides which is so very not appealing and Del cannot rely to anyone but herself - literally is a hard concept to digest. Absolutely brilliant, though. No doubt.

If you think you know how this book will turn out in the end, well, prepare to be surprised again. Cliffhanger is the least of my mind break, and it is capable of making me cry. Del's recklessness has something to do with it, probably. She always dive headfirst into a problem and ask questions later. She's a wild card that she's unpredictable. And the fact that the world is so complex and have so many mysteries that there's no telling the outcome. The author plays both of the aspects well and I was struck speechless. I can't sit here and wait for the sequel. This is too much. I need it now.

Del is not the only wild card here. In fact, Dissonance is filled with them. There are so many surprising moves from characters you wouldn't expect that it appears as if they are a little bipolar or something (this is a compliment, actually). When you place so many wild cards together, their chemistry is pretty much explosive (kinda like putting a big chunk of sodium or potassium into aqua regia). It creates so many heartaches and fire. Just look at Del and Simon.

Speaking of the characters, it's just incredible how the author develops them. At the start of the book I don't like any character except Eliot. I don't even like Simon (or Echo Simon). But then some of their true personality shines through and I can't believe I fall in love with a lot of characters, especially Del, who acts kinda like a bitch for quite a lot of times. Del is actually a great character. Trouble with a capital T. Reckless but self-sacrificing. The character strength of hers can be described as uncanny in a good way. 

This book is a must-read. Especially if you love multiverse. Everything about Dissonance is incredible. I don't get why the rating is barely 4 out of 5 on Goodreads. It's so much better and it will throw you off balance.

Rating: 9/10

No comments:

Post a Comment