Sunday, June 29, 2014

Heir Of Fire: Review

Synopsis:

Lost and broken, Celaena Sardothien’s only thought is to avenge the savage death of her dearest friend: as the King of Adarlan’s Assassin, she is bound to serve this tyrant, but he will pay for what he did. Any hope Celaena has of destroying the king lies in answers to be found in Wendlyn. Sacrificing his future, Chaol, the Captain of the King’s Guard, has sent Celaena there to protect her, but her darkest demons lay in that same place. If she can overcome them, she will be Adarlan’s biggest threat – and his own toughest enemy.

While Celaena learns of her true destiny, and the eyes of Erilea are on Wendlyn, a brutal and beastly force is preparing to take to the skies. Will Celaena find the strength not only to win her own battles, but to fight a war that could pit her loyalties to her own people against those she has grown to love?

***

(Contains HUGE spoilers of Crown of Midnight. Beware!)

She was the heir of ash and fire, and she would bow to no one.

Reading Heir of Fire in June is probably the biggest mistake I've ever made. I can't wait three more months than others for book 4 with this book being so enthralling and awesome! I've thought Crown of Midnight is one of the best books I've ever read. And it's very nice to be surprised that this book exceeds my expectations again.

A lot of things is at stake in the book. Celaena is in Wendlyn, trying to find a way to restore the damage the King of Adarlan has done. Chaol needs to pay the repercussions of what he's done. And Dorian life is turned upside down with his newfound magic. As much as I want them to stick together, I think I handle the fact that Celaena is away surprisingly well. Don't get me wrong, Celaena is freaking awesome and fearless. She's actually the best character in the book. But the fact that the author entwine their story so tightly even when Celaena is in another country (another world, possibly) is completely brilliant. 

Speaking of Celaena in Wendlyn, we will encounter a new character. A really interesting and complex character that I absolutely respect (and adore). Rowan Whitethorn. He plays a really big part in Heir of Fire, and I have a feeling he will as well in the remaining three books. Since he's a new character and all, I don't think I can talk much about him without spoiling you guys. But Rowan is candor, brooding, loyal, and deep. I can foresee a legion of girls falling in love with this character. I can't wait to see more of him in the second half of the series.

Another good stuff we have in Heir of Fire is about another new character. Manon Blackbeak. Although it's a good story, I still don't understand how Manon's story collide with Celaena's. I hope the answer will lie in the fourth book. But that's not important. What's important is that Manon's story is very dark and mysterious. It's brutal and bloody and calculating. Manon herself is a cold, cunning person. Perhaps I have a thing for such characters and dark atmosphere, but I can't wait for more of her story (especially when it collides with Celaena's, which I think is very likely). It seems like she might actually be a big part in the second half of the story.

This review won't be whole without talking about Dorian Havilliard. Out of all the character (except Celaena, because she's basically on a journey of finding more about herself, so she's bound to learn a lot about herself), his character has developed the most. It's pretty stunning to see how Dorian went from the Crown Prince who doesn't really believe in magic to a grown man who actually embraces this unknown side of him and actually be okay with it. I just love this guy so much. I can't bear to have anything bad happen to him. Please, give him a good life. He deserves it. I know it's too early to say anything about the great finale but I don't care, I need him to be happy and safe in the end. 

I can go on forever listing all the characters. But I can't. I can't even talk about Celaena without spoiling anything. The greatness of her is too great to be described by words. Find it out yourself. But I still need to talk about one thing. The ending. I can't handle more cliffhangers anymore. This is seriously tiring. Another one! How am I going to survive this! How can I wait for more than a year! It's probably the most surprising ending since Crown of Midnight, and Crown of Midnight's cliffhanger level is off the charts. Jesus, woman, it's just the third book and everything has already gone crazy. I can't imagine how insane (and insanely fascinating) the second half will be.

Rating: 9/10

No comments:

Post a Comment