Wednesday, March 5, 2014

The Lovely and The Lost (ARC): Review

Synopsis:

Ingrid and Gabby survived the Underneath. They saved their brother, Grayson, from a future of dark servitude and exposed a plot to undermine the Alliance. But danger still lurks in the streets of Paris, and the Dispossessed, perched on the city's bridges and rooftops, might not be able to save their human wards this time.

***

The Lovely and The Lost is slightly better than the first book. There are a lot of improvements from the first book and I appreciate it. At some point I really enjoy the story. Though there are still flaws, and I might not be the biggest fan of this book, I'm pretty certain that it's perfectly enjoyable to a lot of people. 

I mentioned the improvements. The first and the most obvious one is Gabby. There's no denying that her character is developed properly. She's no longer the whining little girl and too naive for her own good. She's getting stronger and she's willing to risk herself to save those she loves. I can't say she's my favorite character because Ingrid (oh, and Vander) are still my favorite characters in this series. But I certainly can say I grow to respect her character.

Another significant development is probably the darker side of the Alliance and the gargoyles. Sure, I know that the Alliance and the gargoyles aren't all good guys from the very start of The Beautiful and The Cursed. But this is different. This is like a darker DARKER side of these two things. It's not unexpected, according to my logical side, because for some reason I feel that something like that will come. But it still doesn't extinguish my excitement for this because this fascinates me, as much as it terrifies me (and irritates me. Don't ask me why. My emotions can be messy). 

I also mentioned flaws. Though there are far less than in the first book. Like the fact that some part (though a much smaller part) is still uneventful and bores me a lot. And then there are some scenes that infuriates me and makes me angry. But other than that I'd say the book is still very enjoyable, especially the ending because it's like an opening to something unknown even though it's not exactly a cliffhanger ending.

I have a feeling that if there's a third book (which I'm pretty sure there is, because the book can't end that way without explaining much, much more), it will get better. I hope that I'm right, because The Lovely and The Lost makes me pretty hopeful. 

Rating: 7/10

No comments:

Post a Comment