Saturday, March 1, 2014

The Beautiful and The Cursed: Review

Synopsis:

After a bizarre accident, Ingrid Waverly is forced to leave London with her mother and younger sister, Gabby, trading a world full of fancy dresses and society events for the unfamiliar city of Paris.

In Paris there are no grand balls or glittering parties, and, disturbingly, the house Ingrid’s twin brother, Grayson, found for them isn’t a house at all. It’s an abandoned abbey, its roof lined with stone gargoyles that could almost be mistaken for living, breathing creatures.

And Grayson has gone missing.

No one seems to know of his whereabouts but Luc, a devastatingly handsome servant at their new home.

Ingrid is sure her twin isn’t dead—she can feel it deep in her soul—but she knows he’s in grave danger. It will be up to her and Gabby to navigate the twisted path to Grayson, a path that will lead Ingrid on a discovery of dark secrets and otherworldly truths. And she’ll learn that once they are uncovered, they can never again be buried.

***

The Beautiful and The Cursed is basically about gargoyles. And demons. And the Angelic Order. And the surprisingly not-so-human human ward. Ingrid Waverly is that not-so-human human girl the Dispossessed are protecting without her knowing at first. When she's trying to find her missing brother, she stumbled upon the world the Dispossessed are carefully protecting against human eyes, and the truth that no one ever expects. 

I guess I can say The Beautiful and The Cursed is interesting enough for me to actually develop a curiosity about The Lovely and The Lost, because of the gargoyle subject (which is my newly found interesting subject) and the fact that Ingrid is... well, very different. But there are certainly some things that I don't really like or care about. And there are quite a number of them.

First off, I don't care about Gabby's story. Not at all. I don't understand her presence in the book at all, which then makes her story very annoying to me. I thought this was supposed to be Ingrid's story, and when I stumbled upon Gabby's point of view the second time, I was like "what the hell is she doing here?" So I guess she's playing a big part of the whole story? But NO, from what I've read, she's not important enough to be a big part of Ingrid's story. It's more like she has a separate story of her own. I don't care about her story! I want more of Ingrid's story and there are not enough of them in the book! What is wrong with the prioritizing? 

Gabby herself is very annoying as well. She acts like she's fearless and she wants to be a part of whatever warrior world. But in fact she's kind of a cowering little girl who just wouldn't stop yammering at times. That's a big part of the reasons why I don't like her story. With her being such an immature little girl with no sense at all, I don't want to read about her. I seriously hope I won't see too much of her in the sequel, because that will be seriously annoying.

I seem to complain a lot about Gabby. And in fact this is the reason why I just gave The Beautiful and The Cursed a 3.5 out of 5. But other than that the book is actually interesting enough. Yeah, you actually have my attention when it comes to gargoyles, because I recently found it quite awesome and intriguing. And it's set in Paris, which is a city full of darkness at the start of the 20th century. Ingrid is a nice enough girl for me to actually try to like her, and I guess with her uniqueness, I will want to read more about her in The Lovely and The Lost. So yeah, if you don't mind Gabby's story ruining everything, I suggest you give this book a try. 

Rating: 6.5/10

No comments:

Post a Comment