Monday, March 24, 2014

Alice in Zombieland: Review

Synopsis:

She won’t rest until she’s sent every walking corpse back to its grave. Forever.

Had anyone told Alice Bell that her entire life would change course between one heartbeat and the next, she would have laughed. From blissful to tragic, innocent to ruined? Please. But that’s all it took. One heartbeat. A blink, a breath, a second, and everything she knew and loved was gone.

Her father was right. The monsters are real….

To avenge her family, Ali must learn to fight the undead. To survive, she must learn to trust the baddest of the bad boys, Cole Holland. But Cole has secrets of his own, and if Ali isn’t careful, those secrets might just prove to be more dangerous than the zombies….


I wish I could go back and do a thousand things differently.
I'd tell my sister no.
I'd never beg my mother to talk to my dad.
I'd zip my lips and swallow those hateful words.
Or, barring all of that, I'd hug my sister, my mom and my dad one last time.
I'd tell them I love them.
I wish... Yeah, I wish.

***

Okay, this book has officially had me. Alice in Zombieland is a retelling of the famous fairy tale Alice in Wonderland. Except of course, we're not talking about Alice in Wonderland here. We're talking about Alice, encountering zombies and determined to fight back. Tempting enough?

Of course, there are parts where I don't really like. Like the fact that Alice is really annoying when she's jealous and she's blind to everything else unless someone forces her to look around and see the truth for herself. I'd admit they're really good parts, though. Because Gena has captured the insecurities and hotheadedness of a teenager really well, which is something rarely seen in other YA novels (because, you know, teens in paranormal fantasies are really sacrificing and strong and stuff and really UNREAL). Finally I got a YA "YA" novel.

Zombies are the best part in book. This is not about some kind of necroa virus (necroa virus? Am I talking about Plague Inc. here?) or some kind of zombie virus that turns people into mindless zombies. While this thought is still amazing, I was like okay, another dystopian novel? (Yeah trust me, that's what I thought the first time I found out about this book). No, zombies are evil creatures. Like they're EVIL. And the world is unaware of these kind of stuff. Somehow that makes the concept of zombies so much better. Needless to say I like it, even though it kind of creeps me out.

I have no idea why I haven't read this book sooner. But trust me, I'm going to read its sequel. Because the first book is a really great start of something zombie.

Rating: 8/10

No comments:

Post a Comment