Thursday, February 6, 2014

Cress: Review

Synopsis:

Rapunzel’s tower is a satellite. She can’t let down her hair—or her guard.

In this third book in the bestselling Lunar Chronicles series, Cinder and Captain Thorne are fugitives on the run, with Scarlet and Wolf in tow. Together, they’re plotting to overthrow Queen Levana and her army.

Their best hope lies with Cress, who has been trapped on a satellite since childhood with only her netscreens as company. All that screen time has made Cress an excellent hacker—unfortunately, she’s just received orders from Levana to track down Cinder and her handsome accomplice.

When a daring rescue goes awry, the group is separated. Cress finally has her freedom, but it comes at a high price. Meanwhile, Queen Levana will let nothing stop her marriage to Emperor Kai. Cress, Scarlet, and Cinder may not have signed up to save the world, but they may be the only ones who can.

***

Cress is awesome. There's absolutely nothing that I don't like in this book. It's only a matter of what I like more. It's filled with action, humor, and excitement. Cress is practically unputdownable. There's no way you can find a place where you can just stop reading for a while and have a rest or something. You have to finish it once you pick it up. And you can't help but like (or love) every part of the book.

The story with Cress (Rapunzel) is even more fun to read than the previous two. Trapped in a satellite (tower), she's instructed by Sybil (the witch) to hack into the ship Cinder is in. That part alone has greatness written all over it. It's Cress as a hacker, come on! A mix of the original fairy tale and futuristic world, mingled perfectly. The original Rapunzel's story is one of the better fairy tales I've heard, and it comes with a war and an almost-apocalypse situation. There are no words to describe how brilliant this is.

Cress's love interest is Thorne. And this gotta be one of the cutest relationship. Thorne is always over-confident (but in a nice way) and makes me laugh, while Cress is naive and innocent and good compared to... well, Thorne. There are tons of fun reading about them. And though Thorne is constantly making jokes, there's no hiding that they feel strongly for each other, and for some reason I really love that. They're a cute couple, though out of the three couples we have read about in the entire series, I think this might not be the best one yet (because I love Scarlet and Wolf more). Yes, there's no denying that Cress and Thorne has strong affections for each other, but for some reason I just think it's not as strong as the bond shared between Scarlet and Wolf.

One of the nicer surprises is Cinder and Kai. Yes, we get to see more of Cinder and more of Kai in Cress! With Cress's story along with Scarlet's story and Cinder's story, I think I'll see no more of Cinder and Kai than in Scarlet. I'm glad that I've been proven wrong! Cinder is even more badass than in the previous two books, with Wolf training her Lunar gift and with Scarlet and Thorne. I truly believe there's no telling how strong Cinder can get when she's determined. That's it, I love that girl. And we also get to see a certain character that will appear in Winter again AND will be the main character! Ah, I'm so excited for the final installment!

Cress have all things escalated. I'm pretty sure every Lunar Chronicles fans will enjoy it as much as I do. I absolutely love it. 

Rating: 9/10

No comments:

Post a Comment