Thursday, January 16, 2014

The Maze Runner: Review

Synopsis:

When Thomas wakes up in the lift, the only thing he can remember is his first name. His memory is blank. But he's not alone. When the lift's doors open, Thomas finds himself surrounded by kids who welcome him to the Glade-a large, open expanse surrounded by stone walls.

Just like Thomas, the Gladers don't know why or how they got to the Glade. All they know is that every morning the stone doors to the maze that surrounds them have opened. Every night they've closed tight. And every 30 days a new boy has been delivered in the lift.

Thomas was expected. But the next day, a girl is sent up-the first girl to ever arrive in the Glade. And more surprising yet is the message she delivers.

Thomas might be more important than he could ever guess. If only he could unlock the dark secrets buried within his mind.

***

It's been more than two years since I discover The Maze Runner. I must say I'm not sure if I should read it, because even though the Glade sounds interesting enough, the synopsis itself isn't. But I decided to read it, two years after I discover this book. Part of the reason is that the movie will be released in September. And another part is that my curiosity's gotten the best of me.

The Maze Runner is basically about solving puzzles in order to escape. Except it has a deadly consequence - you can't solve it in time, you die. I like reading about people trying to figure out a way to escape even when they have no idea why they're here at the first place. I also like how the mystery unravels step by step, without revealing too much before it's ready. In a way it's unpredictable. And you can't put the book down unless you finally learn the secrets of the Maze and the Glade. The Maze Runner is way better than I expected on these aspects.

Thomas is a pretty good narrator. Sometimes (though not often) he sees humor in something that others considered the least bit humorous. He also knows how to hold his emotions at bay until he figures out something that can help him. And he rarely lets his emotions come between him and thinking logically and thoroughly. He's smart and strong. I admit that sometimes he's being reckless or just a douche, but I kinda like that guy. He has a really clear mind.

I'm curious how the movie will turn out to be. It's safe to say I'm really excited. And I should've read The Maze Runner sooner. 

Rating: 8/10

No comments:

Post a Comment