Saturday, January 4, 2014

Origin: Review

Synopsis:

Pia has grown up in a secret laboratory hidden deep in the Amazon rain forest. She was raised by a team of scientists who have created her to be the start of a new immortal race. But on the night of her seventeenth birthday, Pia discovers a hole in the electric fence that surrounds her sterile home―and sneaks outside the compound for the first time in her life.

Free in the jungle, Pia meets Eio, a boy from a nearby village. Together, they embark on a race against time to discover the truth about Pia's origin―a truth with deadly consequences that will change their lives forever.

Origin is a beautifully told, shocking new way to look at an age-old desire: to live forever, no matter the cost.

***

I don't know what to say about this book.

Okay, there are things that I like. Like the fact that it's set in a jungle rather than some sort of super city. And then there's the whole thing about immortality being scientific. Immortality is always described as some sort of supernatural ability or stuff. Here in Origin, it's more scientific than I've ever seen, which is kind of new. 

But then there are a lot more things that I don't like.

First is Pia herself. For someone who's supposed to be super smart, she's not bright at all. And if I want to say it more harshly, I'd say she's pretty slow. And then there's the whole keep-hurting-Eio thing. I just can't understand why she keeps hurting him while "protecting" him. It's pretty annoying. And the more annoying part is, she is very indecisive. Yes she has a strong bond with Little Cam. But after all the horrible stuff she's seen in the lab, and she still can't decide if she wants to run away or not? It's pretty much unbelievable. Yes, she's a nice girl, but I really don't like her. I just can't.

And then there's those scientific project, which is not, in my opinion, very scientific at all. I just got into high school. But I study chemistry and biology. At least I know what a control is. And there's nothing about the control, which is pretty ridiculous. What kind of experiment doesn't have a control? I mentioned that the whole immortality part is scientific in the book. Yes, it's more scientific than I've ever seen. But the concept itself is still not very scientific and technical. 

Then there's the whole almost-insta-love thing. Which makes me groan. Okay, seriously? Insta-love strikes again? It's just... unless there's the whole soul-mate thing (which is still a little lame, but at least it's a good explanation of this insta-love), I just don't get how anyone can love on first sight. You don't even know him, Pia. And there goes the same for Eio. I almost face-plant on my table when I read that part.

While I appreciate the effort of making a supernatural subject into a more scientific one, I just can't dwell on the book. I'm still curious about Vitro, though. I hope the book will impress me more.

Rating: 4.5/10

No comments:

Post a Comment