Wednesday, November 20, 2013

World After: Review

Synopsis:

In this sequel to the bestselling fantasy thriller, Angelfall, the survivors of the angel apocalypse begin to scrape back together what's left of the modern world.

When a group of people capture Penryn's sister Paige, thinking she's a monster, the situation ends in a massacre. Paige disappears. Humans are terrified. Mom is heartbroken.

Penryn drives through the streets of San Francisco looking for Paige. Why are the streets so empty? Where is everybody? Her search leads her into the heart of the angels' secret plans where she catches a glimpse of their motivations, and learns the horrifying extent to which the angels are willing to go.

Meanwhile, Raffe hunts for his wings. Without them, he can't rejoin the angels, can't take his rightful place as one of their leaders. When faced with recapturing his wings or helping Penryn survive, which will he choose?

***

Okay, I've been hyperventilating since last week because... you know, it's World After and I really, really like Angelfall. It's certain that my energy used on hyperventilating doesn't go to waste. This book is also pretty awesome even though there are a few minor flaws. Susan Ee definitely can deliver a great sequel for a book as good as Angelfall

World After has a great start. First sentence:

"Everyone thinks I'm dead."

Okay that totally has me hooked up right there. I know I won't be disappointed for other fans who waited 2 years for the book and for myself. And it doesn't disappoint. There are so many action scenes linking all the events together and some are really brutal and well, post-apocalyptic. The chain of events is unbreakable. I'm so ridiculously happy to see Penryn back in action and is more fierce than before. 

The Sword of Light (Raffe's Sword) is also one of the big parts in the book. It would not be the same without it. (Spoiler!) Throughout the book both Penryn and we can get so much from the Sword. Glimpses of Raffe fighting and Penryn mimicking him in the visions (whatever the hell that is). And oh, the glimpses of Raffe's emotions. Speaking of Raffe's emotions, I must admit it's very unique to see one person/angel's emotion through our narrator's eyes. Although there aren't much of that, I'll totally take them all. Penryn giving the Sword an accidental name is very, very hilarious. One of my favorite parts of the book (End of Spoiler)

Here's Raffe, who is mostly absent from the book. I really miss him. BUT, like I said before, we get glimpses of Raffe's emotions through the sword and I think that's enough to say that he's still present in the book. When he's back, he's just as light and carefree with Penryn as before, teasing her and stuff. And really protective too, more so than in Angelfall if you ask me. He's just like the Raffe we are familiar with in Angelfall. I have a huge grin plastered on my face since Raffe reappears. I will not talk about the romance shared between Raffe and Penryn because I'm sure I will not be able to stop swooning or stop revealing too many spoilers or stop bursting into a huge ring of happy rainbow. Let's just say it's hot and sweet at the same time.

Penryn's family makes a significant contribution to the book, unlike Angelfall. Without Penryn's mother and Paige, World After would definitely not be the same. Penryn's mother... well, she's just as crazy as before, if not more. But her craziness does get her and Penryn to somewhere and actually helping Penryn, unlike Angelfall. Well, what an irony, considering the fact that not only she's crazy but I don't like her. And here's Paige, which is not like the little girl Penryn described in Angelfall and actually shows up to make up parts of the book. Although she's a secondary character, she links up the two books. Without her there's no Angelfall or even World After. I kinda like that little girl, although she's as creepy as in Angelfall.

In many ways World After is just as good as Angelfall. But somehow Angelfall is more entertaining than World After. But no matter what, World After is a sequel that will not disappoint and you won't wanna miss.

Rating: 8/10


No comments:

Post a Comment