Sunday, October 6, 2013

Will I Write A Review For A Book That I Didn't Finish?

Currently I'm reading Resist by Sarah Crossan. My current thoughts are... well they are slightly better than Breathe, but since Breathe isn't my thing to be honest, I don't know what to do with Resist sometimes. I was thinking that if I put down the book, will I be worth to write a review about the book?

That's the big question. And my answer is no, I won't write a review for a book that I didn't finish. When you don't read the whole book, you don't know the whole of the story, and you won't be able to make judgments that concerns the whole book. I think it's kind of improper to write a review on something that you don't understand fully. And here's my confession: It's obvious that you will be judge harshly when you review on something in which you don't the whole picture. And since I'm not one of those that sits well with harsh judgments (no offense, seriously), why write a review on something that you didn't even fully experience on?

But just because I don't write a review for a book that I didn't finish doesn't mean I'm against those out there who write something like this. I'm not a big fan of this idea but I'm not against it. I think he or she has his/her reasons when she write a review for an unfinished book. Maybe it was just too bad that she can't carry on and decided to tell others how bad it is. Or maybe it's just too good that she has to write a review to recommend this book, and some other reasons that I can't think of right now. It's not necessarily bad to write a review about something that you don't understand fully.

But there's one thing that I... strongly don't recommend, to put it mildly. And it's to write a book review on a book that you didn't even finish half of it. Believe me I've seen reviews like this before and I was like, "holy crap have you even read the book?" And not to mention those reviewers gets the details wrong.

So that's my opinion on reviews about a book that a reviewer didn't finish. Please be reminded that this post is only my opinion and I hold no offense against others.

No comments:

Post a Comment