Friday, September 20, 2013

Tremble: Review

Synopsis:

Dez Cross has problems. She’s almost eighteen and on the verge of losing her mind thanks to the drug Denazen used to enhance her abilities. People close to her have turned their back on the underground and are now fighting for the wrong side. And then there’s Kale... Things couldn’t get any worse.

Until of course, they do. Denazen is about to start a new trial—this one called Domination—and it works. But that means out with the old and in with the new. The order has been given to terminate all remnants of the second trial—including Dez. The good news is that there’s a survivor from the original trial. A woman who’s blood may hold the cure for the second generation of Supremacy kid’s defect. But the underground Sixes aren’t the only ones who know about her….

Cross is willing to throw everything he has to keep Dez from getting the cure—including the one thing that might tear her apart from the inside out.

***

(Warning: This will contain some spoilers in Tremble)

I have mixed feelings about this book. On one hand it gets much better than Toxic because of the plot. On the other it keeps getting worse on Kale's love interests. I don't even know my mind can be torn like this. There are so many emotions swirling that I can barely think straight.

Let's talk about the good part first. The plot is better and there's actually something going on in Tremble, unlike Toxic. Finally it's not that predictable anymore on the whole bringing-Denazen-down aspect. I have hopes about the development of the story again. I hope it gets better and better in the fourth and the fifth novel. And luckily we actually have something to focus on other than love triangles. Best of all, we don't have much Jade in Tremble. Thank goodness.

Now the bad part. Well, before you read this, I must say that this is going to be quite long and brutal. You have been warned.

Okay, the whole thing about Kale's love interest and his attitude sickens me. Before all the drama and jazz in Toxic he was one of my favorite male characters. But now, after reading this book, I'm not sure if I will like him ever again even though I know none of this is his fault. He's taken by Denazen. He's brainwashed by a Six chick in Denazen. He got his brain scrambled like burned pea soup. He doesn't remember Dez anymore. His head is a mess. He thinks Dez is someone he hates. Blah and blah. Yes, I admit that it's not his fault he got his brain fried. But that doesn't mean at one point I HATE this guy. Not only is he not the same Kale anymore, he's bitchy, I kid you not. Just because you got your brain scrambled and you are confused and angry inside doesn't mean you have to be such a punk, huh? Did the author write this book and shape Kale in this kind of character just to piss me off? Congratulations, you did it. Gloriously.

Confession, which I'm sure you're not going to like if you are a Kale fan: At one point of the story I wish he got his brain unscrambled (suddenly, because it'd be melodramatic) and realize what he's done to Dez and die of guilt. Told you you won't like this.

I also have a lot to say about Kiernan. She's officially taken Jade's place as "the bitchiest and most die-worthy human/Six in the universe". Okay, I get that Kiernan wants to be loved. But seriously is she too blind or stupid (or both) to understand that no one in the face of this earth loves her? She should know better that siding with Denazen earns you anything but love. The way she keeps prodding Dez makes me want to punch her myself. And she freaking destroys Kale's mind. Yeah, I wish her die a slow, horrible, torturous death. Or better yet, I kill her myself.

I don't know what to say about Dez, though. On some levels I admire her strength in dealing with Kale's iciness and rage (towards her!). I also admire her sarcasm and her faith. But I think she's too pathetic this time. Not that putting her faith on Kale is a bad thing, but seriously I don't think she should be with Kale even after he remembers. I don't care what you say about Dez trying to help Kale and Kale is not himself and all the shit. I don't like seeing the two of them together. Not because I don't like Dez, but because I don't like Kale. If I was not sure about Kale remembering what they have after reading the whole his-brain-is-scrambled thing, I might actually want to punch Dez to make her see some sense, that she should move on. 

Tremble is not a book I will recommend if you are a hater of cheaters because it will surely brings out your inner rage. Despite the plot being better, the book still frustrates me to no ends. Oh, I will still read the fourth and fifth book, but only because I want to see the master devil that is Denazen fall.

Rating: 5.5/10

No comments:

Post a Comment