Sunday, September 29, 2013

The Burning Sky: Review

Synopsis:

It all began with a ruined elixir and an accidental bolt of lightning…

Iolanthe Seabourne is the greatest elemental mage of her generation—or so she's being told. The one prophesied for years to be the savior of The Realm. It is her duty and destiny to face and defeat the Bane, the greatest mage tyrant the world has ever known. A suicide task for anyone let alone a sixteen-year-old girl with no training, facing a prophecy that foretells a fiery clash to the death.

Prince Titus of Elberon has sworn to protect Iolanthe at all costs but he's also a powerful mage committed to obliterating the Bane to avenge the death of his family—even if he must sacrifice both Iolanthe and himself to achieve his goal.

But Titus makes the terrifying mistake of falling in love with the girl who should have been only a means to an end. Now, with the servants of the Bane closing in, he must choose between his mission and her life.

***

The Burning Sky is set in London, 1883. Which is the Victorian Era. I always have a soft-spot for a story set in 19th-century England. This story is about Iolanthe Seabourne, trying to fulfill the prophecy as the defeater of the Bane. 

I love the concept of Iolanthe disguising as Archer Fairfax, a boy (who does not even exist) attending Eton in London. I've never seen this kind of disguise in a story before, not to mention it stays throughout the story. Iolanthe's disguise is impressive. You wouldn't know this Fairfax is not actually even a he if you hadn't already know this is Iolanthe. I also like the concept of the Crucible, where everything seems possible, including coming back to life, apparently. The existence of the elemental mages is quite fascinating, although the whole spells and wands thing makes me think of Harry Potter all the time. The book is detailed and refined. It's not short, but I like the background.

The characters, however, despite the fact that they have a strong personality, I don't feel attached to them. Iolanthe is strong, that I give her credit. But for some reason I just don't like her as much as I thought I would be. And Titus... well besides the fact that he brings out my curiosity, he's quite a douche sometimes. Sometimes I really don't get his act of hiding his affection towards Iolanthe even though I know the exact reason why. I guess they are likable at some point, but I obvious don't stand on that. I also don't know the whole purpose of Titus always thinking Iolanthe as Fairfax when he obviously know she's Iolanthe. That kinda kills the mood.

It's a story I enjoy, but only because of the paranormal elements in it. I'm really curious what will happen next since... well, it ends well.

Rating: 6.5/10

No comments:

Post a Comment