Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Storm: Review

Synopsis:

Becca Chandler is suddenly getting all the guys all the ones she doesn't want. Ever since her ex-boyfriend spread those lies about her. Then she saves Chris Merrick from a beating in the school parking lot. Chris is different. Way different: he can control water just like his brothers can control fire, wind, and earth. They're powerful. Dangerous. Marked for death.

And now that she knows the truth, so is Becca.

Secrets are hard to keep when your life's at stake. When Hunter, the mysterious new kid around school, turns up with a talent for being in the wrong place at the right time, Becca thinks she can trust him. But then Hunter goes head-to-head with Chris, and Becca wonders who's hiding the most dangerous truth of all.

The storm is coming.

***

I have a really fun time reading this book. I've been planning to read this after I read the prequel novella, Elemental. Storm has a really strong connection to the prequel novella because very often things happened in the prequesls don't matter much. I also love the background of the story, which involves the Elementals and the strongest of all, the Fifth. It kind of reminds me of Unbound by Rachel Vincent because of those weird abilities. Yet the whole wielding the elements seems more natural to me and this book is infinitely more entertaining.

Becca is a normal girl. Well, as normal as she can be when her ex spread the lies. And then one day she save Chris Merrick from a beating and then bam! weird things happen. Nothing really special... except there are so many twists in both the plot and the emotions of the characters that I can't even remember some of the smaller twists. And it's just 41 chapters! It's not a long book, yet there are so many twists that it keeps me intrigued every single page and that's impressive.

The last few chapters are... amazing. It's literally shit hits the fan. I mean, I expected someone will turn against Becca/the Merricks, but never the other. It's like... the betrayal of the worst kind. And Becca finding out who she is? Well, I suspected that she's different, but never in a million years did I expect her to be something so special and powerful. The last few chapters got me there. Seriously.


Storm is one of the most interesting book I've read in the summer. It's fast-paced (though not turbo-paced. Phew.) and in times really action packed (I mean, guns!). And every once in a while there are some small twists that keeps me entertained. Despite all the small flaws about it not being special enough other than the background, I think everyone out there should give this book a try.

Rating: 7.5/10

No comments:

Post a Comment