Sunday, August 25, 2013

Spirit: Review

Synopsis:

With power comes enemies. Lots of them.

Hunter Garrity just wants to be left alone. He’s learned the hard way that his unusual abilities come at a price. And he can’t seem to afford any allies.

He’s up to his neck in hostiles. His grandfather, spoiling for a fight. The Merrick brothers, who think he ratted them out. Calla, the scheming psycho who wants to use him as bait.

Then there’s Kate Sullivan, the new girl at school. She’s not hostile. She’s bold. Funny. Hot. But she’s got an agenda, too.

With supposedly secret powers rippling to the surface everywhere around him, Hunter knows something ugly is about to go down. But finding out what means he’ll have to find someone he can trust…

***

I was surprised that there is a full-length novel about Hunter because even though he's a primary character and I like him, I think the series is all about the Merricks. So I'm really excited to read more about Hunter. He's not that big of a jerk than I thought. I read Fearless and knew what it's like for Hunter. But that's only a glimpse of it. In Spirit we know more about Hunter's struggles and uncertainties. He doesn't know if he's lived up to his father's expectations. He doesn't know if anyone will help him when he's in danger, all kinds of stuff. In a way he's like Gabriel. It's hard not to like Hunter more.

Kate, however, is another story. For some reason I really, really don't like her. I know she has an agenda and she hardly has any choice. But she's bitchy at times. She uses people like it's no big deal. Look, I know she has little choice when it comes to this because it's kind of a stretched life-or-death situation for her. But that doesn't make up the fact that she uses people.

This story is very different from the previous two. It's filled with suspense and doubt. Hunter doesn't know if Kate will turn him in or help him. Kate doesn't know if Hunter will do the same thing to her. And they uses each other practically in the first half of the book. Personally I have mixed feelings about this. I mean, I like suspense and doubt and all kinds of stuff that is like it's straight from a detective movie. But another part despise the whole Hunter-and-Kate-using-each-other thing. It's not like they're playing dirty, but I just don't like it.

Although I like Hunter, Kate's presence and the whole using people thing makes me want to punch something sometimes. I'm not sure I like it more than Spark or even Storm. But I still think it's a worth-reading book.

Rating: 6.5/10

No comments:

Post a Comment