Tuesday, July 16, 2013

The Midnight Heir: Review

Synopsis:

In Edwardian London, Magnus Bane discovers old friends and new enemies—including the son of his former comrade Will Herondale. One of ten adventures in The Bane Chronicles.

Magnus thought he would never return to London, but he is lured by a handsome offer from Tatiana Blackthorn, whose plans—involving her beautiful young ward—are far more sinister than Magnus even suspects. In London at the turn of the century, Magnus finds old friends, and meets a very surprising young man . . . the sixteen-year-old James Herondale.

This standalone e-only short story illuminates the life of the enigmatic Magnus Bane, whose alluring personality populates the pages of the #1 New York Times bestselling series, The Mortal Instruments and The Infernal Devices series. This story in The Bane Chronicles is written by Sarah Rees Brennan and Cassandra Clare.

***

(Warning: Avoid reading this review if you haven't read Clockwork Princess because the whole review, I mean the whole damn thing is a huge spoiler!!!)

The Midnight Heir. You know what that means. James Herondale! Another beautiful, broken boy. Just like Will. From what Cassie said, he has his heart broken because of love and he wants to die. Well all I can say is he's truly his father's son because he's so freaking much like Will! Agony is certainly in my future, when I get my hands on TLH.  And finally, I know where Jace's eyes come from... actually quite some time back, but I know this is from The Midnight Heir. So no difference.

This boy had shining golden eyes, like a crystal glass filled brimful with crisp white wine and held up to catch the light of the sun. If his skin was luminous, his eyes were radiant. Magnus could not imagine these eyes as tender.

And my favorite warlock also shows up in this e-book. Well, my favorite other than Magnus, of course. Ragnor Fell! Our lovely green warlock. I totally Fell in love with him in What Happened In Peru. No pun intended.

Unlike the previous three adventures, this one actually has a villain in it, although I will always think of her as a foolish girl just like twenty-five years ago other than a villain. The most mysterious of all parts, because that holds a lot of information. And I'm hoping Cassie is not playing with the repeating-names thing again, because I will seriously rip the family tree into pieces if a certain someone is truly a certain someone. (Oh, you will know what I mean if you read Clockwork Princess... with a family tree along, of course).

There are also mentions of Magnus' old friends. Will, Tessa, and Jem. More heart-break. But surely it's worth it, because the love shared between them is an unbreakable thing. It will always be the three of them. Feels are guaranteed, by the way.

And then there are mentions about Shadowhunters being all arrogant to the Downworlders because of their blood. Okay, Magnus totally changes my point of view towards Shadowhunters, at least to some of them. Apparently not all of them are noble good guys trying to keep human and good Downworlders safe from demons. The arrogance is also mentioned in Vampires, Scones, and Edmund Herondale. Hey, an open mind is good while reading a book. I can really thank Cassie and Sarah for that.

Oh there are many good humorous moments. Like this:


Then I lost him for a brief period of time, and by the time I caught up with him, he had wandered into Hyde Park, waded into the Serpentine, spread his arms wide, and was shouting, ‘Ducks, embrace me as your king!’” --- I think Will is appalled :)

And this:


 “Do stop flirting with my husband,” --- I shall not. 

And this:


I have a shocking memory for Lightwoods. --- Of course you do :)

It's safe to say that The Midnight Heir is by far the best Bane Chronicles story I've ever read.

Rating: 9/10

P. S. It's also safe to say the family tree is MASSIVELY and CATASTROPHICALLY misleading. Damn it.
P. P. S You can check my Tumblr page (on the right side of the blog) for more of my... confessions (warning: involves a lot of feels and frustration)

No comments:

Post a Comment