Sunday, June 23, 2013

Touch of Frost: Review

Synopsis:

My name is Gwen Frost, and I go to Mythos Academy; a school of myths, magic and warrior whiz kids, where even the lowliest geek knows how to chop off somebody's head with a sword and Logan Quinn, the hottest Spartan guy in school, also happens to be the deadliest. But lately, things have been weird, even for Mythos. First, mean girl Jasmine Ashton was murdered in the Library of Antiquities. Then, someone stole the Bowl of Tears, a magical artifact that can be used to bring about the second Chaos War. You know, death, destruction and lots of other bad, bad things. Freaky stuff like this goes on all the time at Mythos, but I'm determined to find out who killed Jasmine and why; especially since I should have been the one who died...

***

I have to admit I'm a little hesitant on reading this book. Academy stuff doesn't sit well with me usually, not after... House of Night. The Reaper Diaries did little on making me feel better while reading academy stuff so I'm not so sure about reading Touch of Frost. But it turns out better than I thought. Maybe I should've give it a chance earlier.

Gwen is the narrator in this book. I like her. Well, not because she can kick some Reaper ass (which is the typical reason why I like girls) because she's a little bit clumsier than other students in Mythos. I like how she talks actually. She sounds like a typical teenager (maybe a little snarkier). Usually when I read books, the female protagonist either sounds too modest or too giddy. Few can portray a teenager with a typical teenager talking style. Jennifer Estep has succeed in that and the book is really entertaining because of this.

I also like Gwen for not hiding her feelings towards people around her. It's very brave for her to express her emotion (even though it's negative) to those around her because not only that's a hard thing (at least for me), female protagonists in books have a habit of acting indifferent/nonchalant in front of her love interest/people around her and I'm a little sick of it at times (actually male protagonists do that more often, but then Gwen is a girl). Even though exposing her emotions completely is a little bit bald and makes her emotionally vulnerable, I like that part about her.

The setting of the book is actually quite cool. Normally only one kind of mythical creatures (or two) is featured in a series. Not this time. It's very rare to have all kinds of mythical stuff cramming into one series (Well, maybe except the Shadowhunter Chronicles by Cassandra Clare, with Shadowhunters, vampires, werewolves, warlocks, and so on existing at the same time in one... uh, five series). Greek gods and Norse mythology rolling into one? I think I like it. Sounds really fun.

The only flaw about this book is the plot. It's a little bit too predictable for me. I mean, it's smooth and I appreciate that. But when everything's going so smooth, you can practically guess what will happen next. I hope Kiss of Frost won't have this problem (yep, I'm planning to read it, since I really, really love Gwen's talking style). 

Rating: 7.5/10

P. S. By the way, I'm not swooning over Logan Quinn, in case you're wondering. He's a jerk in this book. Maybe not the worst kind. But still. And he puts the "man" in man-whore in a real dickhead way ("dickhead" being the keyword).


No comments:

Post a Comment