Sunday, June 16, 2013

Light: Review

Synopsis:

It's been over a year since all the adults disappeared. Gone.

In the time since everyperson over the age of fourteen disappeared from the town of Perdido Beach, California, countless battles have been fought: battles against hunger and lies and plague, and epic battles of good against evil. And now, the gaiaphage has been reborn as Diana's malicious mutant daughter, Gaia. Gaia is endlessly hungry for destruction. She yearns to conquer her Nemesis, Little Pete, and then bend the entire world to her warped will. As long-standing enemies become allies, secrets are revealed and unexpected sacrifices are made. Will their attempts to save themselves and one another matter in the end, or will the kids of Perdido Beach perish in this final power struggle?

Light, the sixth and final book in the New York Times bestselling Gone series by Michael Grant, creates a masterful, arresting conclusion to life in the FAYZ.


***

I'm speechless. 

Seriously. I'm speechless. That has never happened to me before. Not even after reading Clockwork Princess. Hell, not even after reading Apollyon, which I considered "crazy enough" those days. Apparently I'm not use to all-hell-breaks-loose and completely-out-of-control. Crazy barely covers the whole book right now. In fact calling it tremendous doesn't even cover it well. It's like, what, craziness and tremendousness and all the adjectives about exciting stuff all rolled into one. 

The plot is more focused this time. It's about Gaia, the mutant daughter of Diana and the sort-of human form of the gaiaphage. And defeating Gaia, of course. Yeah, that beautiful girl on the cover is Gaia, not Diana. Don't let her face fool you. She's the most horrible thing I can ever imagine. Torturing her own mother, ripping an arm from an accidentally-fell-in-the-FAYZ adult, and shooting light beams at random to kids. You might say, "hey, this is the gaiaphage, of course whatever it does is horrible!" Oh, you have no idea. You have to read the book in order to find out how gruesome those parts are.

And then, there's Caine. Yep, the fraternal twin of Sam's. I can't say I love him or even like him now, but I definitely don't hate him anymore. You have no idea what he does at the end of the book. It's... glorious. Literally. Oh, did I mention the scene is way more breath-taking than the others? It's like you're really seeing that scene rolling. That's one hell of a memory I won't forget. 

For the second time, there's some mentions about adults on the other side and... um, inside the FAYZ. Yeah, the first time is in Fear, but actually I don't pay particular attention to them except the last part, where they see the brutal killing scene and a look of disgust crosses their faces. This time, they have officially screwed up everything. The adult in the FAYZ barrier? Oh he is as tough as cotton balls. Wetting himself in front of the gaiaphage? Good move, man, no wonder the gaiaphage sees you as food. And the adult outside are completely ignorant. They have no idea what's been going on inside the FAYZ and they try to stop them from going out? But the kids eventually make it out. In your face, adults! (Defiance is my second nature, by the way :D)

I have to say I'm crying and laughing at the same time after reading the book. It's overwhelming to see so much going on in just about 450 pages and how drastic things turn out. Gone is officially one of my favorite series now. Maybe even better than Divergent (That's one hell of a declaration because my all time favorite dystopian series is Divergent... until now). As much as it's overwhelming, I can't get enough of nature-defying-the-laws-of-physics and craziness in a busted-up certain area. Yes, I will never get tired of reading this series over and over again.

Rating: 9.5/10

P. S. After reading Light, I can only come up with one thing:

The FAYZ is so wrong. And the outside? Somehow it's more wrong than the FAYZ. I almost wish they will never get out. Almost.

No comments:

Post a Comment