Sunday, June 9, 2013

Hunger: Review

Synopsis:

It's been three months since everyone under the age of fifteen became trapped in the bubble known as the FAYZ.

Three months since all the adults disappeared. GONE.

Food ran out weeks ago. Everyone is starving, but no one wants to figure out a solution. And each day, more and more kids are evolving, developing supernatural abilities that set them apart from the kids without powers. Tension rises and chaos is descending upon the town. It's the normal kids against the mutants. Each kid is out for himself, and even the good ones turn murderous.

But a larger problem looms. The Darkness, a sinister creature that has lived buried deep in the hills, begins calling to some of the teens in the FAYZ. Calling to them, guiding them, manipulating them.

The Darkness has awakened. And it is hungry.


***

Yeah, I'm already hating myself a little bit for picking up this book so soon. But I. Just. Can't. Resist. The. Temptation. Gone is just so good and I can't bring myself to tolerate a whole week to read Hunger. You know what? Hunger exceed my expectations and every single moment of the book is necessary. Come on, it's a 590-pages book. It's brilliant to have a book filled with details that are all important. Holy-crap moments are guaranteed. In fact every chapter has at least a holy-crap moment there. Wow. Just wow. Yeah, I can't even begin to describe how epic this book is, and this is just the second freaking book. 

In this book, things get crazy really quickly. First is the Hunger. The inevitable hazard which triggers that next craziness: multiple-sided war. Yeah, a little bit of sneak peek there for those who STILL haven't read the series yet (Yep, I'm pretty slow). If I remember correctly, our dear main characters are fighting THREE different kinds of enemies. That's nuts. My jaw keep hanging open throughout the book. This is TERRIFYING. If Gone is like a souped-up version of average joes (well, as normal as the main GOOD characters can be) vs bullies, then this book is the start of a whole new war between goodness, bullies, rage and darkness. 

The main villain is finally out of the water and on the surface. The Darkness aka gaiaphage. Yep, it sounds terrifying. Especially the whole gaiaphage thing. I mean, The Darkness sounds like something out of a fantasy world like with angels and demons. But gaiaphage? Sounds like something far from the earth and from an alien planet (Spoiler!) Indeed the gaiaphage is from somewhere in the space (End of Spoiler). Great creation of evil. Certainly battles are just going to be more intense after Hunger.

The only flaw in this book is the quick change of characters' perspective. Sometimes I need to take a little break to adjust in order to understand completely of what's going on. But that's okay. No big trouble at all. The point is, the book's awesome. I'm really surprised why I didn't thought about reading this series before (yeah, I knew about this series about a year ago, but for some reason I didn't wanna read it).

Rating: 8/10

No comments:

Post a Comment