Monday, June 24, 2013

Dark Frost: Review

Synopsis:

I've seen so many freaky things since I started attending Mythos Academy last fall. I know I'm supposed to be a fearless warrior, but most of the time, I feel like I'm just waiting for the next Bad, Bad Thing to happen. Like someone trying to kill me--again.

Everyone at Mythos Academy knows me as Gwen Frost, the Gypsy girl who uses her psychometry magic to find lost objects--and who just may be dating Logan Quinn, the hottest guy in school. But I'm also the girl the Reapers of Chaos want dead in the worst way. The Reapers are the baddest of the bad, the people who murdered my mom. So why do they have it in for me? It turns out my mom hid a powerful artifact called the Helheim Dagger before she died. Now, the Reapers will do anything to get it back. They think I know where the dagger is hidden, but this is one thing I can't use my magic to find. All I do know is that the Reapers are coming for me--and I'm in for the fight of my life.


***

This book lives up to my expectations. Maybe not every single one of them but almost everything. It's still the same cycle going on. You know, trying to find stuff/truth/whatever Gwen wants to find and then get herself into mortal danger. Only this time things are more enhanced and the stakes are higher than ever. I mean, it's time to battle with the serious bad badass Loki's Champion. And the prison trapping Loki is this close from getting loose and Loki will break free. Quite a lot of pressure. That is the part where things actually lives up to my expectations... except it's still only Reapers. But hey, this series is supposed to be about the Pantheon against the Reapers.

If I'm a little surprised that Gwen hasn't changed much in Kiss of Frost, then I have to say I'm VASTLY surprised Gwen still hasn't changed much in Dark Frost. Well, that's really a record. Okay, subtle changes are inevitable. But she still has her snarkiness, her bravery, and her pure heart. Usually big changes in one's heart are involved in the middle of the whole series. And I can hardly believe Gwen can still keep up her own spirit even after the freaky and dangerous things constantly happening to her.

The romance part gets a little messy, though. It's kind of a relief to see that romance is not a big part of the story. Okay, it's still pretty big, but not as big as I thought it would be and that's good, because I can't handle massive heartbreak and loss these days. Back to the messy part. Messy, because things are getting a little complicated between Gwen and Logan, and with my now weakened heart and mind, I get a little disoriented and possibly a tad bit irritated. But it's a minor flaw. No harm done.

Wow, I really need to read Crimson Frost now. I really, really like Jennifer Estep's books because they are not long and dragging on. They are short and sweet. They won't give you too much information so that you won't get bored, but enough for you to understand the story. The perfect balance. I think I like this kind of writing style :)

Rating: 8/10

No comments:

Post a Comment