Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Reboot: Review

Synopsis:

Five years ago, Wren Connolly was shot three times in the chest. After 178 minutes she came back as a Reboot: stronger, faster, able to heal, and less emotional. The longer Reboots are dead, the less human they are when they return. Wren 178 is the deadliest Reboot in the Republic of Texas. Now seventeen years old, she serves as a soldier for HARC (Human Advancement and Repopulation Corporation).

Wren’s favorite part of the job is training new Reboots, but her latest newbie is the worst she’s ever seen. As a 22, Callum Reyes is practically human. His reflexes are too slow, he’s always asking questions, and his ever-present smile is freaking her out. Yet there’s something about him she can’t ignore. When Callum refuses to follow an order, Wren is given one last chance to get him in line—or she’ll have to eliminate him. Wren has never disobeyed before and knows if she does, she’ll be eliminated, too. But she has also never felt as alive as she does around Callum.

The perfect soldier is done taking orders.


***

(I'm getting a killer headache so I won't write long paragraphs in this review. Actually I've been suffering from the headache since May)

This book is not a bad read. I really like the idea of Reboots. It's really different because Reboots are more like strong zombies with a mind. And the apocalypse thing is quite brilliant actually, because the story is not set in the middle of the zombie Reboot apocalypse but rather AFTER it. That's new in one way. 

Wren is an interesting character. Yep, she's really cold at first. But to my surprise she's not as cold as I thought she would be before I read this book. But even with that it takes quite some time to warm up. But she finds her humanity back (at least some of it) in a steady pace and that's a good thing. I don't think I want a hot-at-one-second-and-then-cold-at-the-next Wren. It would be really unsettling. Callum is a nice character. Not very lively, but still so human. An anchor to Wren's leftover humanity. Not that it's a new plot or anything, but it's always interesting to see a boy anchoring an emotionless girl to her humanity.

The plot is alright, I guess. Nothing too exciting. Suspicions are always present and I'm totally okay with it. There are fight scenes and that's nothing unexpected. It lives up my imagination, I guess (because I really didn't expect much from Reboot after Taken and The 5th Wave). But the ending kind of disappoints me a little because it's so rush. I mean, it's the ending, some more excitement and jaw-hanging scenes please? I hope things will get better in the second book.

I won't be super-excited about the sequel, but I'm pretty sure I will read it.

Rating: 6.5/10 

No comments:

Post a Comment