Wednesday, April 10, 2013

The Selection: Review

Synopsis:

For thirty-five girls, the Selection is the chance of a lifetime. The opportunity to escape the life laid out for them since birth. To be swept up in a world of glittering gowns and priceless jewels. To live in a palace and compete for the heart of gorgeous Prince Maxon.

But for America Singer, being Selected is a nightmare. It means turning her back on her secret love with Aspen, who is a caste below her. Leaving her home to enter a fierce competition for a crown she doesn't want. Living in a palace that is constantly threatened by violent rebel attacks.

Then America meets Prince Maxon. Gradually, she starts to question all the plans she's made for herself--and realizes that the life she's always dreamed of may not compare to a future she never imagined.


***

I like The Selection. I really do. It's very different from the YA novels I read before because... well, they are not fantasy, obviously. And they are not exactly dystopian. Change always has its advantage. But again, change always has its disadvantage, as well. 

I didn't really have high hopes on The Selection at first because it just sounds so weird. I mean, the selection among 35 girls? For a princess/future queen/whoever she is? That's kind of bizarre to me. The only reasons I read this are because it's kind of popular and there are many good reviews about it. But it turns out better than I thought. Way better. I'm never the kind of girl that is big on girl-fights. But no, there are no girl-fights and yes, the process is more entertaining than I thought it would be.

And there are rebel attacks too. I'm a big fan of dystopian world, so please don't judge me on this one. I really do think that Cass should write more about the rebel attacks. Yeah, I know the whole point of the book isn't like that, at least not in The Selection. But I think rebel attacks are more interesting. But there's clearly not enough about them. And the whole caste thing in the kingdom is another thing that can make a good background of a dystopian world. Yeah, I know that this is not a dystopian novel. But I think the caste system is something worth being written. I think that will make the book more interesting if multiple obstacles are happening at the same time.

America Singer is a... quite lively character, despite her claim of being quiet all the time. At least, that's when she's in front of Maxon. I think she's tough too. Not the dystopian-badass-tough. But more like those who endured and suffer from social problems and develop a toughness. And surprisingly she's really sweet. I mean, I expected her to be nice, but never SWEET. It's no wonder Maxon falls for her. But then, it's the plot.

There's nothing bad to say about Maxon. He's sweet. He's not snobby. He's... quite a cool guy. But he's just... a little of a flat character to me. Okay, he's way better than some of the other main male protagonist that I read before, but he's just too formal. and... okay, he's trained to show little emotion when it comes to unexpected situation. But jeez, a little too emotionless, okay? But maybe I won't think of him like that if I read this before I read Apollyon. You know what I mean. :)

I won't say Cass's words are exactly beautiful or poetic or energetic. But it's really comforting, considering it's... really lively. She uses slightly simpler words and easier description to write this book, and it has a good effect on this book. The only thing about her writing is that it's... somehow not enough to describe the whole thing or situation. But I think her words are really good.

I look forward to read The Elite, and hopefully more fun will come.

Rating: 7.5/10

No comments:

Post a Comment