Saturday, April 20, 2013

Taken: Review

Synopsis:

There are no men in Claysoot. There are boys—but every one of them vanishes at midnight on his eighteenth birthday. The ground shakes, the wind howls, a blinding light descends…and he’s gone.

They call it the Heist.

Gray Weathersby’s eighteenth birthday is mere months away, and he’s prepared to meet his fate–until he finds a strange note from his mother and starts to question everything he’s been raised to accept: the Council leaders and their obvious secrets. The Heist itself. And what lies beyond the Wall that surrounds Claysoot–a structure that no one can cross and survive.

Climbing the Wall is suicide, but what comes after the Heist could be worse. Should he sit back and wait to be taken–or risk everything on the hope of the other side?


***

I thoroughly enjoy this book, despite all the reviews that say bad things about the book. I won't say I literally fall in love with this dystopian book unlike some others. There are flaws. Some are major ones to be exact. But generally it is an entertaining book and I think you guys should give it a chance even after you read those reviews.

Why I decided to read this book:  

Simple. The Heist is what caught my eye at the first place. I mean, the whole Heist thing sounds like some mythical phenomenon when this book is supposed to be a dystopian novel. There are truckloads of secrets behind the Heist, and they are no fantasy stuff there. They sound fascinating and that's why I think I should read this book.

The plot:

To my surprise, the plot of this book stretches out really far. Not the too-far-to-be-from-this-book kind of far. But fast paced. I suppose it's a good thing and a bad thing at the same time. Yes, I love the fast-paced plot and the excitement that brought along. But I feel like there's something off about the plot. It's just too simple despite the twists. And there's one major flaw. I don't know if you think as I do, but I think it's too predictable for me. Much to my relief, the storyline of the book is based on the adventure of Gray and nothing is too dramatic for me to handle.

The characters:

Gray is a generally lively character. I give him that credit. He's reckless, headstrong, and all the personalities that a main character of a dystopian world should have. But sometimes I think he's just too reckless that it gets a little annoying. And sometimes he gets really flat and emotionless about things. That's a tad bit confusing, and that's not exactly good for the plot.

My favorite character is probably Bree. Like Gray, she's a really lively character, unlike all the other ones. Which, to my disappointment, are flat. She's really brave. I'm sad that there's not much about Bree in this book. I want to know more about her. She's an interesting character.

***

I probably will read the second book because I can't wait for the plot twists and how the story will go.

Rating: 7.5/10

No comments:

Post a Comment