Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Fragments: Review

Synopsis:

Kira Walker has found the cure for RM, but the battle for the survival of humans and Partials is just beginning. Kira has left East Meadow in a desperate search for clues to who she is. That the Partials themselves hold the cure for RM in their blood cannot be a coincidence--it must be part of a larger plan, a plan that involves Kira, a plan that could save both races. Her companions are Afa Demoux, an unhinged drifter and former employee of ParaGen, and Samm and Heron, the Partials who betrayed her and saved her life, the only ones who know her secret. But can she trust them?

Meanwhile, back on Long Island, what's left of humanity is gearing up for war with the Partials, and Marcus knows his only hope is to delay them until Kira returns. But Kira's journey will take her deep into the overgrown wasteland of postapocalyptic America, and Kira and Marcus both will discover that their greatest enemy may be one they didn't even know existed.

The second installment in the pulse-pounding Partials saga is the story of the eleventh hour of humanity's time on Earth, a journey deep into places unknown to discover the means--and even more important, a reason--for our survival.


***

(This might contain spoilers)

This book is just plain nuts. Okay, maybe not the first part. But from part 2 to the end of the book, unexpected crazy stuff just popping up out of nowhere. Instant decisions are made that can surly surprise any readers. The journey is like a ride to hell, with all kinds of ups and downs. And the ending... dammit. The ending is so intense and yeah, another freaking cliffhanger. How am I gonna survive this for, what, another year, huh? 

This book brings us to a journey deep in the wasteland of America. Yeah. who would've thought Kira and her companions would make so far? They face many challenges. Some are natural hazards (well, nothing's really natural in the world of Partials, so maybe I should say relatively natural). And some are not. The stakes are just unimaginable. You can never fathom how Kira and Samm and Heron and Afa survive through the journey. This is literally one of those books that "once you pick it up, you will have to finish the whole thing before putting it down".

This book is told in dual point of view (well, mostly). Kira and Marcus. I think most readers will agree that Kira's part of story is definitely more exciting than Marcus's part. And truth to be told, I have only very faint memory about Marcus's point of view. But it's still good. I mean, Kira's journey takes her far away from Long Island, and it's a little bit hard to link everything happens in Long Island to that journey. And yeah, I have more memory about Marcus in Partials than in Fragments. So I still have the good-ole-boy Marcus image stuck in my head.

I knew that there's one love triangle in Partials Sequence. But that's was before I read Fragments. And I was like "what the hell are you talking about". Now I see where this is from. (Spoiler ahead!) There's two chapters told in Samm's point of view. And one of them is literally the cutest chapter in Fragments. Ahh, Partial boy's in love. I'm still grinning like an idiot on this. But I'm not loathed by this. That's kind of a interesting triangle, really.

As usual, Dan Well's words is appreciative. Although once again, I'm a little bit struck by how emotionless calculated the words are. I think I'm a little too used to emotional waves. The book seems... very reasonable. A little too reasonable, even. Sometimes it's kind of like a report or something. But don't get me wrong. When it comes to one of those exciting parts, everything immediately becomes very interesting. Looks like I need to get use to calculated words. Again.

(Sorry if there's some "what the hell are you talking about" parts in the review. But I'm having a fever. My mind is like goo now)

Rating: 8/10

No comments:

Post a Comment