Sunday, February 24, 2013

Surreal Sunday: Requiem in Alex's Point of View?



Today is a crazy day. A really, really crazy day. And I thought about crazy and surreal possibilities. One of the most bizarre is probably Requiem in Alex's PoV.

Yep, Requiem by Lauren Oliver. In ALEX's perspective. Unimaginable and impossible right? I think this will never be an option. But it just came to my mind today.

First, let's read more about Requiem.

Synopsis:

They have tried to squeeze us out, to stamp us into the past.

But we are still here.

And there are more of us every day.

Now an active member of the resistance, Lena has been transformed. The nascent rebellion that was under way in Pandemonium has ignited into an all-out revolution in Requiem, and Lena is at the center of the fight.

After rescuing Julian from a death sentence, Lena and her friends fled to the Wilds. But the Wilds are no longer a safe haven—pockets of rebellion have opened throughout the country, and the government cannot deny the existence of Invalids. Regulators now infiltrate the borderlands to stamp out the rebels, and as Lena navigates the increasingly dangerous terrain, her best friend, Hana, lives a safe, loveless life in Portland as the fiancée of the young mayor.

Maybe we are driven crazy by our feelings.

Maybe love is a disease, and we would be better off without it.

But we have chosen a different road.

And in the end, that is the point of escaping the cure: We are free to choose.

We are even free to choose the wrong thing.

Requiem is told from both Lena’s and Hana’s points of view. The two girls live side by side in a world that divides them until, at last, their stories converge.


***

I have to warn you that this post will definitely contain spoilers. Huge ones, maybe even. So please be careful about them if you haven't read Requiem, Pandemonium or Delirium yet. 

(In fact the post is mostly for guys who have already read Requiem)

In my review I mentioned that Alex is back in Requiem. However he has transformed... and so not in a good way. In the excerpt from HarperTeen, Alex turns cold and cruel to Lena. Looks like he hates her. But is everything that simple?

You know I'm dying to read some Alex's point of view (just like I'm longing for Free Four from Divergent!). I mean, you guys probably know that there will be a short story in Alex's perspective in the first edition of the hardcover version of Requiem. But... (warning: HUGE SPOILERS AHEAD!) it's not about Requiem. It's more like the pre-Requiem. Where he... well, I'm not gonna tell you that because this is way too spoilery. But what I really want to read is his perspective RIGHT IN Requiem, where he meets Lena again. 'Cuz you know what? I really want to know what Alex's really thinking when he spit out cruel words to Lena. This would be interesting.

Jeez, don't you want some explanation of his attitude? I mean, he kinda bugs me off in Requiem. For some time I actually consider to change my ship to Julian. I think I will be relieved (well, more relieved) when I get some brief sense of what Alex really thinks about Lena and... Julian (yep). This will (sorry, it should be WOULD) be one of the most thrilling experience since mankind is created. I mean, it's ALEX SHEATHES! Not just some random guy!

If there WOULD be a Requiem short story (or the whole book) told in Alex's point of view, would you read it? I think I would!

See my review of Requiem here: http://smoking-hot-books.blogspot.com/2013/02/requiem-arc-review.html

No comments:

Post a Comment