Sunday, January 20, 2013

My Soul To Keep & Reaper: Review

One novel, one novella from Soul Screamers series.

Synopsis:

Kaylee has one addiction: her very hot, very popular boyfriend, Nash. A banshee like Kaylee, Nash understands her like no one else. Nothing can come between them.Until something does.Demon breath. No, not the toothpaste-challenged kind. The Netherworld kind. The kind that really can kill you. Somehow the super-addictive substance has made its way to the human world. But how? Kaylee and Nash have to cut off the source and protect their friends—one of whom is already hooked.And so is someone else…

***

Okay, this book is just one hell of a ride. I mean, seriously, how can you imagine Demon Breath can be addictive? Rachel Vincent has a really crazy mind. This book is awesome. Well, not the top of awesome. But still.

So... Demon Breath accidentally and mysteriously leaks into the mortal world. Soul Screamers is sounding more like Kaylee is a detective, seeking out who's guilty and trying to save the world from hellions. Not that it isn't good. It's just every story in the series is somehow... separated. No strong bonds between stories. Yeah, I know it's kind of Kaylee's doing that Demon Breath leaks into the mortal world. But it's making people addicted to it, not stealing their souls to Netherworld. I can't say it's all bad... but it's a series, after all.

And something finally get between Kaylee and Nash. I mean, really? Nash, getting hooked up to Demon Breath? That's totally unexpected. Okay, I know Nash isn't all flawless-and-hot boy. And I don't like him that much either. But him hooking up with something so dangerous? And lie to Kaylee about it? Let alone letting Avari using Kaylee's body to communicate with him? If Rachel's determined to make readers hate Nash, well, she's doing a fantastic job. When the balloon is found, my mouth is hanging open like never before. This is just totally surprising and... revolting. Nash's so screwed.

This book is better than My Soul To Save. One of the reason is that the stakes are getting higher, which is a constant. But the main reason is totally different. I mean, after the whole perfect couple thing between Kaylee and Nash, letting something come between them is a good twist. Come on, don't you think it will be extremely boring to have a perfect couple to the end, especially when they are main characters? Twists are good, even though they might not make you very happy.


Rating: 8/10

***

Synopsis:

Tod Hudson was a typical teenager. He liked girls, sports, food and tolerated his younger brother, Nash. In fact, he had his whole life in front of him--and due to his bean sidhe heritage, it was going to be a very long life indeed. And then the car accident occurred.

Suddenly Tod's future wasn't so sure, and he had to make a choice. Life... Death... or something Between....

An ebook exclusive Soul Screamers series novella.


***

I gotta say, Tod is a really sweet guy. Yeah, he's acting kind of like a douche in My Soul To Take. But seeing a glimpse of his human... no, bean sidhe life is a very stimulating and different experience. Even though sometimes his emotions shine through when he's being a reaper, his bean sidhe life is more... lively and emotional. A really good experience, considering how sweet he acts in Reaper. Really funny too. I think I'm gonna like this guy much.

There are two parts where I got really angry when I read the book. First is the whole Tod-saving-Nash thing. Okay, not that it's Nash's fault because it's Tod's choice to save Nash's life with his own. And he doesn't know it's Tod who saved him. But his attitude towards Tod in My Soul To Take is infuriating, looking back. And worse yet, he got himself hooked up with DEMON BREATH for crying out loud. Not cool, Nash.  

And since that I read the synopsis of My Soul To Steal before I read Reaper, something really not good rises in my heart when I see Sabine's name. Really? Juvenile? I have no idea how Sabine got caught up with crimes. I can already see how messed up My Soul To Steal will be. Even though Nash's just Kaylee's maybe-boyfriend.

(Secret thought: And after reading Reaper, I kind of wish Kaylee's with Tod rather than with Nash...)

Rating: 8/10

No comments:

Post a Comment