Thursday, January 10, 2013

Darkness Before Dawn: Review

Another dystopian vampire series!

Summary:

Only sunlight can save us.

We built the wall to keep them out, to keep us safe. But it also makes us prisoners, trapped in what's left of our ravaged city, fearing nightfall.

After the death of my parents, it's up to me--as the newest delegate for humanity--to bargain with our vampire overlord. I thought I was ready. I thought I knew everything there was to know about the monsters. Then again, nothing could have prepared me for Lord Valentine... or his son. Maybe not all vampires are killers. Maybe it's safe to let one in.

Only one thing is certain: Even the wall is not enough. A war is coming and we cannot hide forever.


***

Firstly, I have to say the cover kinda reminds me of Fallen.

But that doesn't matter. This is a vampire series, very much like Julie Kagawa's Blood of Eden, cuz this is a dystopian series. Cool, cuz I always have a thing for dystopia.

I find my emotions mirrors Dawn's throughout the book. Yeah, you heard me right. And I thought Victor was quite a jerk at first. But then my views towards him started to change like Dawn's. Yep. Quite a good book, actually.

And then there's the whole Day Walker thing. This definitely reminds me of Simon in The Mortal Instruments (yeah, cuz he's a Daylighter). But then, Simon isn't cruel and bloody. Sin is. Which is cool, considering I can't take more not-violent vampires in other books. This goes to the whole vamps-can't-walk-into-the-sun thing. You know what? The whole glittery-vampire thing in Twilight doesn't set my stomach right. I mean, how can a vampire walk under the sun? That's just so wrong in every standards.

When it comes to the part where Dawn and Michael had a fight, I was kinda scared of a love triangle blooming. I mean, come on, not again. Love triangles tend to rip our heart out. It's relieving to see that there is no boy fights over a girl throughout the book. Another thing I appreciate.

But then, the ending is just so infuriating. I mean, who ends a book like that?! It's just like Opal, ending the book with a massive cliff-hanger. How can the author do this? If it wasn't for me start reading this series after Blood-Kissed Sky is released, I would've gone crazy now. Glad that I have Blood-Kissed Sky in my hands.

If you love The Immortal Rules by Julie Kagawa, you should definitely read this. Yeah, out of all vampires YA fantasy, Blood of Eden is still my favorite out of all. But then this book is quite good too. Maybe in a different way, and maybe you wouldn't enjoy it. But I find it kinda... cool.

Rating: 7.5/10

No comments:

Post a Comment