Friday, January 11, 2013

Blood-Kissed Sky: Review

Sequel of Darkness Before Dawn

Summary:

There's nowhere left to hide.

I thought vampires were our enemies - they controlled our lives, isolated our cities, and demanded our blood - until I met Victor. With Victor taking over as the new Lord Valentine, things were supposed to get better. Instead, they're worse than ever.

Day Walkers, a new breed of vampires who can walk in the sun, are terrorizing the city. Blood supplies are low, and if Victor's vampires don't get enough, they will become infected with the Thirst - a disease that will turn them into mindless killers.

To stop it, I must journey across the desolate wasteland to the very place where the sickness began. I can only hope that the answers that await me are enough to save us all... before it's too late.


***

Just wow.

This book is really a hell of a ride. First is the transformed Victor. I mean, he's really Lord Valentine now. Without mercy. That's not how I expect Victor would be. But then he's always a vampire. Not cool by Darkness Before Dawn standards.

And then there's Los Angeles, my favorite city of all time. And the city is full of god freaking Day Walkers. Angels does NOT equal to vampires. Los Angeles in Blood-Kissed Sky should not be called City of Angels anymore (maybe City of Vampires will do). The author can surely ruin big cities for the book's good really well. Great writing skills here.

And then there's Dawn's true heritage, which confirms my suspicion. In the prologue of Darkness Before Dawn. there's something very wrong about Dawn's true heritage. And I was thinking "not half-breeds?" And turns out she's the watered-down version of an Old Family. Wow, just wow. Seriously?

There's the V-Process. Turns out is not Vampire Process but Victor Process. I have no idea how Victor came up with this. I mean, he's supposed to be a good guy (well, at least sort-of). And he came up with this god damn V-Process. This is just freaking unexpected. I mean, how can you imagine Victor is more than a blood-sucking vampire?

This book is much, much better than Darkness Before Dawn. The stakes are higher. And the link between characters and plots are fine-made. The writing skills are firm and beautiful, which makes the book more intoxicating than the first one. I think it can be compared to The Immortal Rules now (though I still think The Immortal Rules is better).

I look forward to After Daybreak, the thrilling conclusion of Darkness Before Dawn Trilogy. I will miss this vampire dystopian novel.

Rating: 8.5/10

No comments:

Post a Comment