Sunday, January 27, 2013

Before I Wake: Review

Looks like I'm on the waiting for With All My Soul cuz I finished reading Before I Wake.

Synopsis:

I died on a Thursday—killed by a monster intent on stealing my soul. The good news? He didn't get it.

The bad news? Turns out not even death will get you out of high school…

Covering up her own murder was one thing, but faking life is much harder than Kaylee Cavanaugh expected. After weeks spent "recovering," she's back in school, fighting to stay visible to the human world, struggling to fit in with her friends and planning time alone with her new reaper boyfriend.

But to earn her keep in the human world, Kaylee must reclaim stolen souls, and when her first assignment brings her face-to-face with an old foe, she knows the game has changed. Her immortal status won't keep her safe. And this time Kaylee isn't just gambling with her own life….


***

The first awesome thing about the book is Kaylee/Tod. Finally they are together! Tod is always there for Kaylee and he literally died for her in If I Die. So yeah, they are the endgame. And I will be super pissed if that doesn't stay in that way. 

The second awesome thing is Sophie's change in attitude towards Kaylee. Yeah, she's still acting like a total bitch sometimes. But something about her changes. I haven't read Never To Sleep. And I know that it's about Sophie encountering a whole bunch of supernatural events. Maybe that changes her. Good for her to see some sense. I'm tired of her being a b-witch.

The third awesome thing is Sabine. Yeah, Sabine. Even though sometimes she's still a jerk and a bitch, she's way nicer than in My Soul To Steal. I think partly because Nash's in her hands now. And apparently she doesn't hate Kaylee. So, yeah, I kind of like the change. Fewer smartass comment and word war between Kaylee and Sabine is better for the book.

The forth and the most important awesome thing is the ending. It's just. Freaking. Wow. Epic. Avari's reappearance (with his real face) with Individa, capturing Kaylee's friends is way beyond bearable. My jaw hits the floor when Emma dies and awakes at Lydia's body. No way. And Rachel leaves me a goddamn cliffhanger at the end of the book. Best. Ending. In. The. Series.

There are a few flaws though. One is Nash's attitude. Yeah, he really pisses me off right now. I know he has every reason to be angry because Tod stole his girlfriend and much more. But his swing of emotions confuses and angers me. If you want to hate her, just do it. Don't have that I-want-to-hate-you-but-I-can't-because-I-still-love-you thing. This is just annoying.

Another is the threat in the book. I mentioned that the ending is epic. But that doesn't mean the threat is strong enough in the book. Part of the reason is probably that now Kaylee's dead and I'm used to every freaky event that happens on her. Avari using resurrected souls and another ordinary soul to get to the human plane is bad enough, but comparing to If I Die, the advance in danger level is not big enough. I think if some other threats are put, the book will be much more interesting.

Rating: 8/10

No comments:

Post a Comment