Friday, December 28, 2012

Top Ten YA Novels 2012: Opal by Jennifer L. Armentrout

Looks like 2012 centers JLA's novels!

No.3: Opal by Jennifer L. Armentrout

Summary:

No one is like Daemon Black.

When he set out to prove his feelings for me, he wasn’t fooling around. Doubting him isn’t something I’ll do again, and now that we’ve made it through the rough patches, well... There’s a lot of spontaneous combustion going on.

But even he can’t protect his family from the danger of trying to free those they love.

After everything, I’m no longer the same Katy. I’m different... And I’m not sure what that will mean in the end. When each step we take in discovering the truth puts us in the path of the secret organization responsible for torturing and testing hybrids, the more I realize there is no end to what I’m capable of. The death of someone close still lingers, help comes from the most unlikely source, and friends will become the deadliest of enemies, but we won’t turn back. Even if the outcome will shatter our worlds forever.

Together we’re stronger... and they know it.


***

Why I love this book so much:

1. So many WTF things:

Oh, come on, throughout the book there IS a lot of WTF things going on. First is Dee being a bitch. Okay, I know she's sad, she's angry, she's devastated. I KNOW. But her attitude? She, wanna kill Blake? Yeah, totally unexpected. I mean, how can we imagine our sweet ball of sunshine will become so fierce (and dark)?

And then it's Blake's reappearance. I mean, didn't that pervert get the message? He still come back, and TRY TO LURE THEM INTO A TRAP AGAIN! I can't believe Blake did this, okay? He, confessing that he likes Kat? Yeah, so not believing it right now.

Another reappearance is Will. He's not a big problem, though, because the mutation had turn on him and made his cancer a more serious problem. Still, his reappearance surprises me. And it's really annoying. Why the hell did he appear in Kat's house again?

And then the most flabbergasting of all is Carissa and Simon. They are FREAKING mutated. And they become mindless hybrid zombies/ emotionless hybrid/ whatever you call it. Carissa is a sweet girl. I kinda like her. And even though Simon is quite a douche, I can't believe they are mutated. I mean, what the hell? Is the DOD insane, keep kidnapping innocent humans and mutate them and turn them into mindless soldiers? 


2. Stable relationship

You guys know that Daemon and Kat had a rocky relationship in Onyx. Well, the path is more stable now in Opal. And that's really something to celebrate. I mean, I'm tired of either Daemon or Kat trying to push each other away and deny their feelings for each other. A stable, and smoking hot relationship is always my first priority.


3. Kat is a different person/ hybrid

Kat is not cowering anymore in Opal. I mean, not that she is cowering in either Obsidian and Onyx. It's just that she becomes more like a fighter now. More protective. I like this Kat more because I always love fierce heronie. I mean it. Even though this Kat is a little bit too fierce sometimes, I still like her.


***

Why you guys should read this book:

1. Awesome

I mean it, it's awesome. You can see above that I state so many WTF things in Opal. These are unexpected. And Dawson wanna rescue Beth. I kinda see it coming, yes. But the rescue isn't going smooth. (Spoiler) First is the whole onyx spray thing. And second is Kat being kidnapped. (Spoiler end) These are totally unexpected. And you know what? The ending is awesome as hell, even though I'm kind of angry with JLA that she leaves this freaking cliffhanger and we have to wait over a half year for Origin. 

2. Humor

Yeah, I know I've mention humor a few times already. But I still can't believe JLA can still manage humor in such a tense situation. I mean, rescuing Beth isn't easy. And handling Blake and DOD is hard as hell. But then, this book can still bring out laughter. I was in awe that I can still laugh after all kinds of emotional roller coaster. JLA should keep it this way.


See my full review here:   http://smoking-hot-books.blogspot.hk/2012/12/opal-review.html

***

Origin, the forth book of Lux series, will be released in July, 2013 (so far away)

No comments:

Post a Comment