Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Under The Never Sky: Review

I've started a new series, again! This time it's Under The Never Sky by Veronica Rossi. Check out the summary:

Since she'd been on the outside, she'd survived an Aether storm, she'd had a knife held to her throat, and she'd seen men murdered. This was worse.

Exiled from her home, the enclosed city of Reverie, Aria knows her chances of surviving in the outer wasteland - known as The Death Shop - are slim. If the cannibals don't get her, the violent, electrified energy storms will. She's been taught that the very air she breathes can kill her. Then Aria meets an Outsider named Perry. He's wild - a savage - and her only hope of staying alive.

A hunter for his tribe in a merciless landscape, Perry views Aria as sheltered and fragile - everything he would expect from a Dweller. But he needs Aria's help too; she alone holds the key to his redemption. Opposites in nearly every way, Aria and Perry must accept each other to survive. Their unlikely alliance forges a bond that will determine the fate of all who live under the never sky.


***
Why does everyone who has the name Veronica has to be such a great writer! This book is AWESOME. I just don't understand why I hadn't read it before. 

There are plenty good things about this book. First is Aria. I really, really like her. Not just because she is as tough as nails, but also she kinda reminds me of myself. I just don't know how to describe her personality, but somehow I feel that there are some similarity between us. That's a good thing, at least, considering I don't usually compare myself to female characters. They are either just too awesome or too dumb.

Then there's Perry. Actually he acts exactly like a jerk when he and Aria first met in the Outside. Their quarrel brings both fun and irritation. Irritation is supposed to be a bad word. But somehow I find myself loving those quarrels, almost as much as I love the battle between Daemon and Kat. And truth to be told, Perry is sweet too. I won't say I love him. But I think he will be a good friend.

The relationship is one of the best things in the book. Probably one of the best among all kinds of relationship. Yes, I love smoking hot relationship like Tessa/Will, Jace/Clary, Daemon/Kat, Aiden/Alex. But this one is not just sweet. It's peaceful. There's no lust. There's no strong desire. Just like your regular relationship, only it happens on an unusual field. That's quite a break and a preparation, considering what I'm gonna read in the next 7 months is gonna be angst-ridden.

Roar is a very good and fun character. He's sweet and talkative. I like that kind of friends. They can bring out laughter from you. So I really want to read the extra of Under The Never Sky, Roar and Liv. Looks like Liv is a good character too. I want to see what happened between them. And even more, see them reunite.

I like the setting of Under The Never Sky. There are two very different worlds. One is the Pods, which is claimed to be safe and people live on virtual worlds and high-tech facilities and are even weaker than spoiled children nowadays. Another is the Outside, where people have to be very aware of the Aether storms and have a tough life. The best part of the setting is that it sounds like a dystopian novel (and it IS), but the story doesn't show obvious sign that Aria is living in a dystopia world, at least not as obvious as Divergent, Delirium and The Hunger Games.

This book is just awesome. There's no way I won't give a high rating about this. And I can't wait for the second book of the series, Through the Ever Night, which will be released on January 8, 2013. And can somebody tell me where I can find Roar and Liv, the short story set in the world of Under The Never Sky? I wanna read it so badly.

Rating: 8/10

No comments:

Post a Comment