Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Shatter Me: Review

Right after finishing Under The Never Sky by Veronica Rossi, it's time to start another famous dystopian series, Shatter Me by Tahereh Mafi!

Check out the summary below:

Juliette hasn’t touched anyone in exactly 264 days.

The last time she did, it was an accident, but The Reestablishment locked her up for murder. No one knows why Juliette’s touch is fatal. As long as she doesn’t hurt anyone else, no one really cares. The world is too busy crumbling to pieces to pay attention to a 17-year-old girl. Diseases are destroying the population, food is hard to find, birds don’t fly anymore, and the clouds are the wrong color.

The Reestablishment said their way was the only way to fix things, so they threw Juliette in a cell. Now so many people are dead that the survivors are whispering war– and The Reestablishment has changed its mind. Maybe Juliette is more than a tortured soul stuffed into a poisonous body. Maybe she’s exactly what they need right now.

Juliette has to make a choice: Be a weapon. Or be a warrior.


***
The best thing of this book is that it's actually set in a dystopia. There's no illusions about the society. You can see the everyone is starving for food and the weather is going wild like crazy. To be honest, I've never seen a destroyed Earth in any of the dystopian novel until Shatter Me. Very good, Tahereh Mafi. I will definitely read Destroy Me and Unravel Me later.

Juliette is none of the typical warrior girls/ tough girls in any of the dystopian series. She doesn't look tough in any parts. She looks fragile. Like a typical scared girl with no warmth from her parents and self-loathing as hell. But her heart is the best thing. She doesn't want to be a monster to everyone else and try to help others with her hands even though her killer hands scares and disgusted by many people. Not everyone can stay pure in heart in that kind of situation.

Now I can see why other readers go all fangirl about Adam. He is awesome. There are no relationship that can last long like them in a world that is dying every single day. 7 years surely is an impressive amount of time. He's not shy, either. He doesn't try to hide his feelings like other famous hot boys in YA books. He is honest to Juliette about his feelings, and he will do anything just to protect Juliette. I am seriously considering to vote for him in the next YA Crush Tourney.

Warner reminds me of a less lustful but more violent Christian Grey. I don't like Fifty Shades, to be honest. And Warner is being so damn possessive. I just don't understand why he thinks Juliette is his other than he wants her as a weapon. I think there's a bond that Juliette is not aware of. Maybe my question will be answered in Destroy Me. But his words to Juliette when Adam and she tries to escape from him surprised me. A lot. Maybe he does care about her in some very twisted way? Anyway, I don't like him. But I don't know if that will remain unchanged.

Omega Point is somewhat like a headquarter of revolution. I know it IS a place where a bunch of revolutionaries live in. Omega Point sounds like a good place when the world outside is in chaos. I wonder how they will break the Reestablishment dudes. I am not sure if I want Warner dies in Omega Point's hands, but I am sure as hell that I want Warner's father dead. He is a sick, twisted dick.

The only not-so-good part is the last part. It's still good. But the peace lasts a little bit long at the end of the book. I don't know why I love to see chaos so freaking much. But some more battles and wars will do good to the book.

Looks like I need to start Destroy Me.

Rating: 8.5/10

No comments:

Post a Comment