Friday, October 19, 2012

Hidden: Review

I've finished the tenth book of the bestselling House of Night series. Check out the summary below:

Neferet’s true nature has been revealed to the Vampyre High Council, so Zoey and the gang might finally get some help in defending themselves and their beloved school against a gathering evil that grows stronger every day. And they’ll need it, because Neferet’s not going down without a fight. Chaos reigns at the House of Night.

***

I'm not sure what to say about this book. I guess the best is to say that it's good and bad at the same time. 

What are the good things? Well, one thing has been kept all along since Marked was published. And this thing is there's no extra love-sick stuff in it. Which is good, considering to many love-sick materials will ruin the book. Another thing is the words, which have also been kept all along the series. The words is imaginative. You can never guess what the characters are going to say. Well, at least that's the good part.

And the bad parts? I'm sorry HON fans but I gotta be honest (like Candor!) to myself. There are bad parts in the book. One, the book's plot is a little bit too scattered. Seriously, I don't care about Lenobia's relationship with Travis at all. What I care about is the world's safety. Normally I would care about main characters' relationship with other character. Not in this series. (Note: There's no contradiction between the no-extra-love-sick-stuff and this cuz I just don't care about how the supporting characters' love life). 

Another bad thing is the series lasts way too freaking long. Like I'd said before for millions of times. I don't think a battle toward a evil ex-High Priestess can last that long. The plot is weak up to now cuz there are nine FREAKING books before Hidden. And I want a real battle, not just Zoey and her friends battling Neferet all by themselves. That's not a war. That's not even close to a small battle. I really want some violence because come on, it's the tenth book. There must be something real bad happen. There's only two books before the end of the series. Why not just push it and push it until it reach it's limit in the last book? 

Zoey is not exactly my favorite character throughout the series (Damien is). I know she tries her best to save the world from Neferet's blood-soaked hands. I understand that. And I appreciate that. But if Zoey's gonna save the world, can she just stop acting like a school girl. That's not mature for a girl to save the entire world. Sometimes she just blubbering to her friends "I can't do this" ,"I can't do that", blah blah blah. Well, I call bullshit on that. Stop acting like a little girl and grow up.

Erin's reaction is kind of... well, unexpected. I know Water is easy to manipulate emotionally. You can see it from the people who are Pisces, Cancer and Scorpio. But I just can't believe that she cross lines with that Dallas. She is not stupid. How come she can't see Dallas' evil plan? Even though her emotions are tangled, I don't think she's stupid enough to run away from Shaunee and straight to Dallas' horrible arms.

I can't say I am super excited about the next book of the House of Night series. Somehow I want it end now. But I guess I will keep reading HON until the series ends.

Rating: 6/10

No comments:

Post a Comment