Friday, August 10, 2012

Shadows: Review

The prequel of the Lux series, Shadows, features Dawson Black and Bethany Williams.

Summary:

The last thing Dawson Black expected was Bethany Williams. As a Luxen, an alien life form on Earth, human girls are…well, fun. But since the Luxen have to keep their true identities a secret, falling for one would be insane.

Dangerous. Tempting. Undeniable.

Bethany can’t deny the immediate connection between her and Dawson. And even though boys aren’t a complication she wants, she can’t stay away from him. Still, whenever they lock eyes, she’s drawn in.

Captivated. Lured. Loved.

Dawson is keeping a secret that will change her existence...and put her life in jeopardy. But even he can’t stop risking everything for one human girl. Or from a fate that is as unavoidable as love itself



I must say even prequel Jennifer can write it so well cuz I didn't expect any major heartbreak except the part of their death before I read it. But this one drives my emotions completely, and this is one of the best prequel I've ever read. But remind you that I will never mix up prequels and prequel series, like The Infernal Devices. Because they are different situations, different stories.

The relationship between Dawson and Bethany is not as complicated as the one between Daemon and Kat. The one Dawson and Beth shared is pure and sweet, not like the vehemence and wild that shared between Daemon and Kat. This definitely gives me one fresh break when I finished reading Obsidian.

It's heartbreaking that things didn't go so well as much as in Obsidian, because Dawson couldn't protect the one he loved most. They had to die in the end. And I almost cry at that point. Why couldn't the Arum just leave them alone? Why so cruel, tear the two lovers apart? It tore me apart just thinking about it. Almost as much as thinking about Will/Jem could never be with Tessa forever. And I can finally see that why Daemon acted like a jerk to Kat when they first met.

Another heartbreaking thing is that Dawson thought Beth was dead when she fell off the cliff (or whatever you wanna call it). This was the biggest divine and mistake Dawson had made. If it wasn't the goddamn bright trace, the Arum wouldn't come, and they didn't have to die. But I guess every man in love will try their best to save the ones they love most. And I can understand his actions. Just that if I stand in Daemon's(or Andrew's) point, I would definitely say she's not worth saving.

Reading Obsidian first and Shadows next is kind of a funny experience to me. Because in the prequel, Daemon swore to the stars that he would never fall for one single human because of their "weakness". But when I link Obsidian with Shadows, I can only shake my head, grinning wickedly, and think Looks like you can't keep your promise, man. So if I were you, a new reader who haven't even read anything from Lux series yet, I recommend you that read Obsidian first, and Shadows next.

Rating: 8.75/10

No comments:

Post a Comment